“Off night”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between Lincoln and Llano
Transit: None, small town USA
Description: Fine dining dinner house featuring steaks, wild game, sushi and seafood as well as a full bar. Join us Tuesday nights for "Thai Tuesday", featuring authentic cuisine from Executive Chef, Leu Savanh's home country of Thailand.
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Friend and I in Fredericksburg shopping all day, wanted a great meal. August E's was recommended to us. Our first clue should have been that the bartender warned us they had been slammed over Thanksgiving and they were out of edamame and French fries. So you can't go to HEB and buy potatoes? Luckily we didn't want either so it did not impact our dinner choices. We think our waitress was new and she was definitely off her game. Super nice but forgetful. Long periods of incommunicado. We had stuffed dates. Not to be missed. Shared the citrus truffle salad which was too sweet for us but we asked for fresh cracked pepper and I finally gave up waiting and ate it. My friend held out and said it made the salad. I'll never know. I ordered the axis medium rare. It was more medium and just two small chops. Flavorful but not enough. Came with mashed potatoes, roasted tomato and asparagus wish was not mentioned on the menu so we ordered sides. Which our waitress forgot. All sides were cold. My friend had the surf and turf special, which was also cold. She sent back - it was better but sides still cold. Fabulous mac and cheese. Could bathe in it! Brussel sprouts were ok. Bread was awesome. Out of chocolate cake. Put our sides on someone else's bill but figured it out after I was ready to pay. I feel bad but at those prices, it should be awesome. And it was not.

1  Thank Diane S

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We went there on Thanksgiving because they had some decent reviews, and were one of the closest restaurants that served a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It was our first visit to August E’s, and it will be our last!

To start, we made our reservation well in advance, and were called to “confirm” about a week later. The main purpose of the call; however, was to get our credit card number, and to warn us that if we cancelled our reservation less than 24 hours in advance, or failed to show, our card would be charged $50 PER PERSON. I guess this was management’s idea of establishing an inviting, cordial, Thanksgiving atmosphere.

We arrived on time, and were told that we had to wait because “our table wasn’t ready”. Twenty minutes went by, and several groups that arrived after us were seated ahead of us. When I inquired again, I was told that people were assigned a specific table in their reservation, and that our table hadn’t cleared yet. I looked in the dining room, and the table we were ultimately seated at was clear, and had already been reset.

After being seated, the waiting game continued. In the two hours we were in the dining room, an hour and twenty minutes was waiting time. I asked for a pre-dinner cocktail, and after an interminable wait, was told the bar didn’t have that brand. Other than the place settings, the only items on the table, which was shaky and unstable, was a grease stained menu, and a small wine list with bottle prices. Since it was just the two of us, we asked for a wine list with glass prices. Another long wait, and a book size list, held together with three rings, was brought to our table. At this point, we had been seated for more than 45 minutes, and had only had our water glasses filled. While perusing the wine list, a server came by with dinner rolls, and a dish of butter. He semi-dropped the butter dish on the cover of the wine list while we were reading it. It was also the first, and last, dinner roll we got. The roll was chewy to say the least.

While there were other items on the menu, the Thanksgiving dinner was fixed price, and included green beans, two types of stuffing, two kinds of potatoes , cranberry sauce and turkey along with a choice of apple or pumpkin pie. The dinner came on one big plate. The sweet potatoes were supposed to be in a flaky pastry, they weren’t. The turkey meat was gleaned from the dregs of some carcass, and had an unpleasant odor. One dish had a whole piece of organ meat in the middle of the turkey chunks. The only tasty item was the green beans. The cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes, tasted, and looked as if they were poured from a can. The food was so disgusting to my wife, that she was only able to eat some of the green beans, although she tried tasting everything. Our dinner was not served until an hour and twenty minutes after our arrival time.

We had hoped that dessert would at least be pleasant. Despite having both ordered apple pie, the server then asked if we wanted pumpkin, or bourbon pecan pie. When we asked about the apple pie we ordered, we were told that “they ran out”. At that point we just wanted to leave. I ate the pecan pie, and my wife had nothing. Getting the bill was another exercise in waiting. So two glasses of wine, and two incomplete Thanksgiving dinners came to just under $100. For the entire meal, the server was slow, unconcerned, and never apologized for anything.

In summary, if you want glacially slow and poor service, overpriced and overrated food, go to August E’s. Otherwise, don’t go there on a bet!

2  Thank James L
Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a perfect Thanksgiving dinner in a spacious, art-filled space with well-placed tables. Prices were very fair for superior food in an urban-chic setting. The hospitable owner, Leu Savanh, who had kindly accommodated our last-minute reservation, made the rounds, greeting his guests. We enjoyed local wines, including a fragrant Grape Creek Viognier. The turkey (all dark meat at our request) was moist and flavorful; the green beans were crisp and all the vegetables perfectly cooked. The onion soup, a bit unusual, was light and elegant. Our friendly waitress was very professional. Fellow diners included family groups with well-behaved children, young professionals and senior couples. Everyone seemed delighted with their meals. The cosy bar would be ideal on a chilly night. We will certainly return.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

If this is a fine dining, then this is at its worst. We were disappointed and eager to leave half way thru dinner. The night before, we had the best meal at Vaudeville and the next night, it was one of the worst here at August E's.

Building and atmosphere was spacious, calm colour scheme with interesting paintings of animals. The hostess was nice and friendly. We noticed that she helped clear up tables at the end of the night, which was something we don't see at a fine dining. Water boy did his job well, the bus boy didn't. Finished plates weren't clear up for the next course making it cumbersome for the next dishes to be served on the table. Bus boy walked around brushing his arms/hands along the back of chairs that were occupied by diners. Dirty tables were left in the same state for over 15 minutes and counting even after we left.

There was something odd about this "fine-dining" where it allowed friends of waitress to be seated and made commotion. This incident would be acceptable at Waffle House or McDonald because those are casual eateries.

Our waitress was a bit air-headed. She didn't know about the type of beers listed on the menu. She would be gone for awhile til we thought we were forgotten.

Then the food—Mmmmm...how shall we begin. My husband had Lobster Bisque. It's his favourite soup. But the bisque was so terrible we returned it to the kitchen—too sour, no lobster taste, too cheesy, too thick, too oily, and too salty. The surface floated layer of oil particles on top. It was worst than a grocery store boxed soup—as if eating red salty & sour floured mud. I hardly gave bad reviews. I know enough about food. I cook, I eat, I love food, and I learn about them. And this bisque scared both of us for what came next. My Spider Roll wasn't bad. The rice could be a bit more seasoned, the filling was good. But it wasn't rolled right, rice fell off making a mess on the plate as it arrived in front of me. The slices were not evenly cut. Some were too thin, some thicker. Keep in mind, this was supposed to be a "fine dining".

So they brought out a replacement—French Onion Soup, and we returned it again. 2 slices of Swiss cheese (obviously from the daily counter cheese block at HEB) were laid on top of the soup WITHOUT MELTING! I've never seen anything so terrifyingly sad in terms of food goes. I asked that the cheese be melted under the broiler. It came out slightly melted. The soup was edible, nothing fantastic. My husband makes better Bisque and I make much much better Onion Soup! He started to look very disturbing at this point.

Entrees were average. This is when Anyone Can Cook Better comes in. The Seafood Curry was more salt than sweet. I make better curry knowing that mine will never be as good as those in Thailand. Thai food structures around salty/sweet/spicy or sour. This dish was one-dimensional. However, the seafood was cooked right and not tough. He had a filet with mascarpone potato, sautee mushroom and asparagus. The steak was cooked just right as requested (rare). It was tender and flavourful. The mashed potato, he said it was like what came out of a box. I didn't think it was that bad except that it was served cold, not hot. The veggie was ok. He just wanted to finish dinner and leave. Creme Brulee was below average. We make better Creme, too. This sounds snobbishly full of ourselves. But at this point, I can self-proclaim that I make better food and had just wasted $140 for a bad experience.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Our food was very good, for the most part. Lobster bisque was cold, and the red meats were slightly cold but very tasty regardless. Our main server, joe, was fantastic. However, the hostess and some other waitresses need to work on how they speak to costumers, and how they navigate the floor. There are tons of tables, so getting a train of people to their table I understand can be tough. But look or the easiest option with the most space!! Chairs back up to each other and both parties are up to the table tight, and they constantly ask you to squeeze up, there's no more room!! Find another way!! Go around! Also, one waitress was carrying 2 glasses of wine, we had a hat on the corner of the chair - " I can't get through here, I will knock off this hat"---- excuse you?! First off you can't squeeze through there so go around, secondly, word that much better and with a little more respect for your patron.