“Identity Crisis”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between Lincoln and Llano
Transit: None, small town USA
Description: Fine dining dinner house featuring steaks, wild game, sushi and seafood as well as a full bar. Join us Tuesday nights for "Thai Tuesday", featuring authentic cuisine from Executive Chef, Leu Savanh's home country of Thailand.
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Is this restaurant a sushi bar? Wild game? Traditional? All are on the menu which is several pages long. Food was average but not great. My filet mingnon was the long, thin tail end of the tenderloin. “F” for presentation. Restaurant was large and about half full and where did they seat a table of 5 women - right next to the kitchen door of course! Waitress made a big deal of desserts and the after a few minutes came back to tell me (birthday girl) they did not have my choice that night. Folks, unless you’re wild about sushi, there are plenty of other places in Fredericksburg.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

It has been some time since we have had a meal here, but this was our first time to have dinner. It was an excellent meal with great service. We were pleased with the new artwork selection and the nice bar area.

This is a menu combination of traditional upscale meals with a few wild game options and a wide range of oriental (raw seafood) options. We had the scallops with risotto on the side--an excellent special. The scallops were wonderful. The wine list is decent, but a little small for a restaurant of this quality.

We arrive at 5:00 PM and there were no problems getting a table without a reservation. However, at 6 the place (a large main dining room with additional tables at the bar) started to fill up quickly. The locals suggest making reservations on the weekends, and it appears to be a good recommendation!

Parking is on the street in front, and in a lot across the street from the restaurant.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

This restaurant was chosen due to it being one of the only ones on Thanksgiving day to offer a dinner. They had a specific menu for that day only. I wish we could have seen the rest of the regular menu. They had a small wine list for the evening as well. I am sure there are more options on regular nights. I made the reservation about 3 weeks out. they called and confirmed about 1 week out. We arrived at our reservation time, we waited at the bar and were made comfortable till our table was ready.

Everyone was super nice, and southern friendly. I had the rack of lamb which was covered in a cherry glaze. It was traditional and pretty good. Wife had the pork chop. hers was better than mine.

The dinning room is very nice. Different with contemporary and tradition hill country art hanging. White linens and walls. Very clean looking and open.

Waitress was nice. We were very appreciative of them being open and the staff working on a Holiday. But...you could tell they were done with being there. Which brings me to my final point. Although priced as a top end restaurant, and menu reflects top end items, you just do not have the feel of a $$$$ establishment. Maybe it was due to the staff for that day being Thanksgiving. Please do not get me wrong, everyone was very nice. But the feel was just an etch under fine dinning although it was at a fine dinning price point.

We will try again next time in town.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Friend and I in Fredericksburg shopping all day, wanted a great meal. August E's was recommended to us. Our first clue should have been that the bartender warned us they had been slammed over Thanksgiving and they were out of edamame and French fries. So you can't go to HEB and buy potatoes? Luckily we didn't want either so it did not impact our dinner choices. We think our waitress was new and she was definitely off her game. Super nice but forgetful. Long periods of incommunicado. We had stuffed dates. Not to be missed. Shared the citrus truffle salad which was too sweet for us but we asked for fresh cracked pepper and I finally gave up waiting and ate it. My friend held out and said it made the salad. I'll never know. I ordered the axis medium rare. It was more medium and just two small chops. Flavorful but not enough. Came with mashed potatoes, roasted tomato and asparagus wish was not mentioned on the menu so we ordered sides. Which our waitress forgot. All sides were cold. My friend had the surf and turf special, which was also cold. She sent back - it was better but sides still cold. Fabulous mac and cheese. Could bathe in it! Brussel sprouts were ok. Bread was awesome. Out of chocolate cake. Put our sides on someone else's bill but figured it out after I was ready to pay. I feel bad but at those prices, it should be awesome. And it was not.

1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 24 November 2017

We went there on Thanksgiving because they had some decent reviews, and were one of the closest restaurants that served a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It was our first visit to August E’s, and it will be our last!

To start, we made our reservation well in advance, and were called to “confirm” about a week later. The main purpose of the call; however, was to get our credit card number, and to warn us that if we cancelled our reservation less than 24 hours in advance, or failed to show, our card would be charged $50 PER PERSON. I guess this was management’s idea of establishing an inviting, cordial, Thanksgiving atmosphere.

We arrived on time, and were told that we had to wait because “our table wasn’t ready”. Twenty minutes went by, and several groups that arrived after us were seated ahead of us. When I inquired again, I was told that people were assigned a specific table in their reservation, and that our table hadn’t cleared yet. I looked in the dining room, and the table we were ultimately seated at was clear, and had already been reset.

After being seated, the waiting game continued. In the two hours we were in the dining room, an hour and twenty minutes was waiting time. I asked for a pre-dinner cocktail, and after an interminable wait, was told the bar didn’t have that brand. Other than the place settings, the only items on the table, which was shaky and unstable, was a grease stained menu, and a small wine list with bottle prices. Since it was just the two of us, we asked for a wine list with glass prices. Another long wait, and a book size list, held together with three rings, was brought to our table. At this point, we had been seated for more than 45 minutes, and had only had our water glasses filled. While perusing the wine list, a server came by with dinner rolls, and a dish of butter. He semi-dropped the butter dish on the cover of the wine list while we were reading it. It was also the first, and last, dinner roll we got. The roll was chewy to say the least.

While there were other items on the menu, the Thanksgiving dinner was fixed price, and included green beans, two types of stuffing, two kinds of potatoes , cranberry sauce and turkey along with a choice of apple or pumpkin pie. The dinner came on one big plate. The sweet potatoes were supposed to be in a flaky pastry, they weren’t. The turkey meat was gleaned from the dregs of some carcass, and had an unpleasant odor. One dish had a whole piece of organ meat in the middle of the turkey chunks. The only tasty item was the green beans. The cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes, tasted, and looked as if they were poured from a can. The food was so disgusting to my wife, that she was only able to eat some of the green beans, although she tried tasting everything. Our dinner was not served until an hour and twenty minutes after our arrival time.

We had hoped that dessert would at least be pleasant. Despite having both ordered apple pie, the server then asked if we wanted pumpkin, or bourbon pecan pie. When we asked about the apple pie we ordered, we were told that “they ran out”. At that point we just wanted to leave. I ate the pecan pie, and my wife had nothing. Getting the bill was another exercise in waiting. So two glasses of wine, and two incomplete Thanksgiving dinners came to just under $100. For the entire meal, the server was slow, unconcerned, and never apologized for anything.

In summary, if you want glacially slow and poor service, overpriced and overrated food, go to August E’s. Otherwise, don’t go there on a bet!

2  Thank James L