“Gypsy Joynt Rocks”
Review of Gypsy Joynt

Gypsy Joynt
Ranked #31 of 316 Restaurants in Galveston
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Funky but fit for Foodies. Gypsy Joynt is like walking into a hippie haven...crystals (chandelier leftovers) hanging from the ceiling, the waitresses look like a throwback from the groovy 60's (with a big portion of tattoos) and the food is interestingly funky-flavored. Their cheesy bread, the jumbo wings, the Holey Smoley salad, and the create your own pizzas...dazzles the tongue. The gypsies have something for everyone: Tex-Mex, Cajun, Italian, you name it, Gypsy Joynt has it and that means I'm going back!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I had heard many glowing reviews of the Gypsy Joynt, so I tried it one weekday afternoon during a slow period. I had driven by several times before, and could not find nearby parking, but today I finally scored. I knew that it was an eclectic type of cafe, but did not realize that you really serve yourself, except for food delivery. You walk in, take a menu, decide what you want, and pay in advance. You also get your own beverage. I took my menu back to my table, because this being my first visit, I wanted to take a few moments to peruse the menu. In my humble opinion,the menu was so busy it seemed complicated. I decided to eat a healthier lunch, so I skipped the burger and sandwich sections, which saved me a lot of time. Had I read the entire menu, I would most likely have spent a good half hour just trying to decipher it all. I ordered the grilled fish tacos, and they were delicious.

I have worked in the food service industry and I know how important tips are to a server. I was a bit confused by the "tip" section at the bottom of my receipt. 1) I had not received any service at all, and 2) I was confused at to who I would be tipping? You seat yourself, go to the back counter to order, and they ask you to bus your own table. Would I be tipping the cook? the person who rang me up? the person who just carried my food from the window to the table? I'm a bit torn in regards to tipping at an establishment that offers no table service at all (not even to refresh drinks or ask if you are enjoying your meal). I actually felt strange and a little guilty for leaving without leaving a tip. I really hope that the staff is not being paid "tip" based wages. The employees seem to be cordial enough, but you never really get to interact with them unless you go and order sweets from the bakery case (which I did). The bakery was delicious. The food was delicious. I'm just not a fan of the "fast food type" of service.

1  Thank Deena S
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We came in on an extremely cold, rainy day during the Dickens on the Strand weekend and had to jump over puddles to get into the door but I am so glad that we found this place. It's like a hipster/bohemian/indie/hippie laid-back neat cool place to hang out. There are really neat pictures of the owners all over the wall, tapestries, paintings (some that I also feature in my own house), art-work, hanging lights, etc. I loved the decor here. The tables and chairs were mismatched and I had no idea that when you were supposed to order at the counter when you walked in. Kinda wonky, but kinda my style!

I ended up ordering the Bahn Mi sandwich with the sweet potato tots, my husband ordered the PMS with a Blue Ball which was a horrible thing for him to order and I tried to warn him. It was basically a bacon macaroni and cheese sandwich with potato chips and a chocolate ball on the side. It ended up giving him the poops later which is a fun story for later. My Bahn Mi was delicious and I loved the sweet potato tots. I could have eaten those things all day! They paired perfectly with some ketchup! (I'm one of those people who drowns her tots in ketchup, sue me). Our friends ordered one of the most delicious pizzas I've ever seen or smelt. It was the "Fred Darling" with pine nuts and olives, and good lord, did it look amazing! They loved it and ended up devouring the rest before they even got home.

The food was spectacular and unique as well as the decor. The service wasn't anything extraordinary. It's usually what I expect when I come to these sort of "hipster" joints. Kind of off-putting and slightly rude, but if the food is good enough, I don't mind much. I don't come to Galveston much but when I do, I'm coming back for the pizza and Bahn Mi!

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This place is out of the ordinary, a true gypsy fun restaurant. The food is amazing with a large selection of a little bit of everything. The kale slaw and ciabatta sandwiches were delicious.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Just going here and looking at this crazy place is worth the visit. You must order your food then find a place to sit. No one really told us what to do, which might have been nice, but the portions are large and tasty.