“Great food! ”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed it here! The prices were great as was the food. The only off putting thing was that when we wlked in they tried to turn us away because They had no open tables. Ive never seen a restaurant not offer to let you wait. Luckily we were still standing outside trying to decide where to Go when the man at the register came out and said it looked like a table was leaving.
Despite that odd experiance I highly recomend this place. Its got a but of history to it too which I always enjoy.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

We rolled into Galveston and checked into our hotel(Hotel Galvez-on the Seawall). We asked for a local lunch venue and they suggested Star Drug Store. It is located downtown in a historic district. The buildings and atmosphere are rich with history. It had a great feel to it. The Star Drug Store was exactly the type of local cuisine and atmosphere we were looking for. I had a tuna melt and my wife had a turkey club. Along with the side, it was delicious and hit the spot after a long morning of travel. We were very pleased with the friendly service and historic atmosphere. Thanks for a great meal and taste of historic Galveston!

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Maybe we went at a bad time but I was not impressed. I loved the history of the place & it reminded me of my youth eating in drug stores in my town.
No one greeted us at the door, we sat down & ask a customer if we ordered at the counter or the table? She routed me to menus laying on the front counter. There were 4 other customers . While viewing the menus a lady got our drink orders. We got a grilled cheese, chips, chicken salad on croissant & dill potato salad. The cheese was not melted. I didn't care for the chicken salad ( real dry ) but really liked the potato salad. No waitress ever returned to the table except to drop off the check. I loved reading the fun facts & after all it is the oldest drug store in Texas. It was a cheap lunch. I will not return.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

First, let me say that I appreciate Star's efforts to keep this historic counter running. Since it was near our hotel in the historic part of town, we thought we'd try it out. It is what you would expect from an old diner. The sandwiches were good and we enjoyed most of the salads. Our favorites include the Chicken Curry Salad (both on its own and as a sandwich) and the Tomato Basil Soup (chunky and well flavored). While my partner enjoyed her shake, I was less impressed with my Coke float. The vanilla ice cream used seemed icy, more like ice milk. The shake, flavored, on the other had was creamy. All that said, the staff was super friendly and attentive. Only other negative... is that I was so full, I thought I would pop!!! :)

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Quick trip back to a 40’s soda shop. The food was average all-American fare, and the single waitstaff was sadly overworked. Never less, it was a fun and nostalgic morning.