“"Best crab cakes on the island!"”
Review of Fisherman's Wharf

Fisherman's Wharf
Ranked #26 of 324 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Reviewed 28 July 2017

The first time we ate at Fisherman’s Wharf, in Galveston, Texas, years ago, we had just driven down from Fort Worth. Our plans for a sunny holiday were dashed as we drove through a torrential thunderstorm. We were starving, and saw a light from their window, and like a beacon from a light house, it drew us in. We were warmly welcomed by the staff, who took us in and comforted us. There were only a few other customers, and we were seated in a section that had huge windows overlooking the famous ship, Elisa. Pelicans, seagulls and other tropical birds sat on the posts on a patio that was meant for outdoor dining. We saw ships and shrimp boats tossing and turning from our ocean view inside the restaurant. I don’t remember what we ate so many years ago other than to say it was the freshest, most delicious sea food I had ever put in my mouth. As the meal came to an end, we were eating a piece of Key lime pie, with a rich hot coffee, as the thunder and lightning crashed around the historic Elisa. We felt like we were part of the crew, fighting the storm. The song “Rainy Night in Georgia” came on, and we looked at each other and declared that evening our best dining experience ever. Fast forward many years, and we have just crossed the bridge onto the island and headed straight to Fisherman’s Wharf. We are greeted warmly, and I ask if there is a table with a view of the Elisha, and she takes us to the same table we had so many years ago. Our server, Wesley, welcomes us and he asks if we would like appetizers. I tell him we are really hungry, and ask what is fast and good. He says the mini crab cakes are very popular, I nod my head and he places the order. In minutes, four golden brown, crispy cakes appear snuggled in a sauce that compliments, not overpowers, the large hunks of fresh crab. Best I have ever eaten, unbelievable! Next, we share a spinach salad that has bacon, eggs and sautéed button mushrooms that is served with a warm, smoky bacon vinaigrette. Now, Wesley has suggested that we try the red fish with our shrimp, he feels it is far superior to the others. We couldn’t believe it! It was so fresh and delicious it was like we had never really tasted a freshly caught fish before. Thank you for guiding hungry travelers, Wesley! While this visit wasn’t nearly as dramatic as the first, we agree this meal has tied for our best dining experience ever!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Meal was wonderful. We purchased a drink thinking it came with the souvenir cup, however it did not, their menu was a little miss leading on that part. We sat out side which was nice, with a nice few of the port!

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Great food. My favorite was the crab cakes. The views on the outside patio are gorgeous and it wasn't to hot even in July! The staff are friendly and attentive.

1  Thank nanglgrl
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

We ate here as a nice family dinner
While on the island for a few days. There were 4 adults and 2 children. We waited for about 20 min for a table and when we went to be sat there was an apparent mistake because the table they sent us to had just be taken by another group. So they quickly put together a table for us. Our waitress came by fairly soon after we were sat down but she seemed annoyed to be there. I explained to her that I am have food restrictions , Gluten Free. I called ahead of time and was told by the manager my waiter would let me know what food I would be able to eat. I let the hostess know when I got there so the waiter would be aware ahead of time before I sat down. I asked what was gluten free and she says "you can have salad". Thanks, I came for fish not a $30 salad. So she says just ask me and I'll tell you if it's safe or not. I asked about the Mahi and she said it "should be safe". Not what one wants to hear. So I ask again, should be or is? There's a difference. It will make me sick if it isn't. Once we get that out of the way we go through which toppings are safe, she tells me the lump crabmeat with white wine butter is safe. After putting in my order realizes the rice isn't gluten free (what the heck?) and says maybe the potatoes if they are safe do you want that?! When my mean comes out it is the driest thinnest piece of mahi and lump crab meat no actual sauce and red potatoes. So I say, I guess they said the potatoes are safe. Again, she says, they should be, they made them special for you. Needless to say I didn't eat them. The waitress never came back to our table after dropping our meal off except to give us our check. My husband didn't care for his meal either. The rest of our family said it was good. Personally for $100 meal I could eat a nice steak. My fish was cooked way too long and if your food needs a lot of sauce to taste good then your food really isn't that good to begin with.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Great food, had to wait awhile for a table but it was okay cause we hung out at the bar and the drinks were so good! We have been several times and always great food and service!