“Skip this place”

May China Cafe
Ranked #251 of 378 Restaurants in Garland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Food here is OK but Service is horrific. They only have soft drinks in cans and it is an old and dirty place. Owners don’t care about their customers. I would never go back here.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

It's our go-to place for Chinese take-out or delivery. We're not Chinese food snobs -- this place gives you a nice amount of food for the money, but you can never count on the menu being the same price you're charged!

We've gone there a few times to eat, but it doesn't improve the experience so we just eat at home. We get chow mein, lo mein, General Tso's and sweet and sour usually.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

We had never seen this place before and we were hankering for Chinese, so why not? There was only one other occupied table at 1PM on a Saturday. We should have ran then. We had a seat and ordered drinks. So far so good. Tea was really bitter, but I still had hope. I dunked a couple of sweet and lows in the tea, better. The only person we saw working came over and asked us for our order. I asked if the cashew chicken had mushrooms or carrots. She became loud and started speaking in a really mean tone. I am not sure what she said, but she scared me. I decided that sweet and sour chicken was probably carrot and mushroom free. It was, but boy was it bland. I felt like I was eating Chicken Nuggets from a fast food place. The pictures on the wall were definitely not an indication of what you will get. It was reasonably priced, but I will opt for fast food over this place next time.

Reviewed 7 March 2015 via mobile

Ok gettings tortillas with Moo Shu Pork is bad enough, but the food quality is totally unpredictable. I have a personal policy that I don't eat anything that stares at me from the plate. You have to wonder what really goes on in the kutchen.

I nominate this place for Kitchen Nightmares. Let Gordon Ramsay update the place and get the food on track!

1  Thank RoadKillYum
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stopped in for lunch several times and didn't die.
Other than the now dirty sticky feel of the restaurant and fish tanks and always shortness of staff; although one tries to "act" friendly as long as you agree with her; lunch has always been a 3.
Tonight opted for dinner in... ordering my favorite of 40 years, Moo Shu Pork with added shrimp (almost 11.00 with tax).
First flag... cashier said sit on side as other side is wet.
It was raining so guessed stained ceiling was leaks?
Garland health inspectors never let me get by with anything like that.
Second flag... flour tortillas in lieu of rice crepe pancakes and when asked, stated that's all they had..
My thoughts were will eat their 97% veggie Moo Shu without saying anything as lesson learned until I tasted "SWEET" Moo Shu as hate sweet vegetables!.
She came back and I advised Moo Shu was sweet?
Third red flag... She said that's the way she and others made it and I advised... NOT.
Fourth red flag... She then stated that's the way she made it at home and they seldom sold it... Wonder why???.
I advised sweet plum sauce is served on the side so anyone "wanting" the Moo Shu vegetables sweet can add it. As Grannie used to say... anyone who cooks knows you can always add but you can't take it out once it's cooked in.
Never said, "I'm sorry", Never said "Can we re-make it for you without plum sauce cooked in", Never said "Would you like something else", Never said "Let me take it off your ticket". In other words "NO CUSTOMER SERVICE" as with many foreigners who come from a third world argumentative culture.
Made sure they could not re-purpose the MOO Shu veggies, tortillas, rice or plum sauce and left NO TIP.
While paying at the register she had the nerve to ask if I wanted my change and advised keep it thinking even though I am on Social Security she must need it more than I.
Last visit.

2  Thank Pat E

Been to May China Cafe? Share your experiences!