“Mixed Feelings”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #143 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I booked it thru "name your own price" from Priceline and after reading reviews, I didn't like the hotel and had low expectations. We arrived at the hotel on a Friday evening. The hotel is located at the corner of two busy roads. Getting to the hotel wasn't as confusing as some reviews described as long as you have figured out that you need to drive around the hotel to get to the front lobby. The hotel looked clean, room was nice though small. We got a room on 6th floor facing east, therefore the highway noise is minimal (AC is much more noisy anyway). The bed was OK but not that comfortable as you'd expect in a 4-star hotel. It has a swimming pool but it looked really tiny.

Although it's close to Galleria, getting there is much more difficult than those hotels westside of 610 as it is difficult to get on Westhimer Road and cross the short but very congested road to Galleria. I also don't like valet parking, not so much on its charge but more on convenience. I was with my family including two kids. We had a lot of stuff on vehicle and would like the convenience of getting things on and off vehicle by ourselves. Some reviews complain about $19 per day parking charge. It's actually just $6 more epxensive than self-parking at Hilton across 610. Some reviewers wonder why the hotel doesn't offer self-parking and my guess is because the hotel has such a small lot size and it doesn't have direct park to hotel access. From the garage you'll have to walk outside the building to get to the lobby.

We stayed for two nights there and feel this hotel might be OK for singles/couples but definitely not for family travel. When I was bidding on Priceline, I was really hoping for Hilton where we stayed and liked from prior expereince. I wouldn't choose this hotel had I had the option.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I spent one night in this hotel, it was perfect for my needs. It is modern, the room was nicely laid out and very modern. I was able to plug my the hdmi cable from my computer into the LCD-TV and use it as a screen. The internet was free. I didn't take any meals so can't comment on those. I found the parking a little expensive at $19 per night.
I would probably consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NMcPhillips
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have been going to Houston in different occasionsand Derek is the best approach ... Excellent Location ... Good Decoration ... For Business meetings great option in the Restaurant or Lobby ...

The atteintion in the Fornt Desk, Concierge, and Valet is Outstanding !!! -

Things to improve from the last time i stayed i the Hotel ... WIFI amd Internet speed are very bad and slow... BAD EXCUSES THEY GAVE...

Room Tip: Higher floors are better... more quite... The Business Center has a good internet speed but everybo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here and it was very disappointing. The hotel lobby, common areas and our room felt dirty. When we checked into our room, the carpet in the hallway by the bathroom felt damp and after my husband showered, the carpet was soaked. I thought they would want to know this (and plus, it's a little gross to walk around on wet carpet). When my husband told the guy at the front desk about it, he almost looked at him like, 'what do you want me to do about it?' When we got back to the room hours later from dinner, there was a huge floor fan/dryer in our room that was super loud. We had to turn it off, unplug it, haul it out to the hallway and call them to retrieve it... and again they acted like they had no idea why we were bugging them at the front desk. Totally not a 4 star experience - almost makes me laugh now thinking about it. Although, as my husband pointed out, I'm not sure what I expected them to do since we were out to dinner and they couldn't really move us to a new room w/ all of our stuff out - but it just seemed really trashy to come back to a "nice hotel" and then to have to unplug a giant fan that was drying out wet carpet from who knows what leak. Yuck.

The guy at the front desk was rude and unhelpful also when we asked if there was a car/shuttle service to a nearby restaurant - he was clueless as to their policy I guess and said we could just get a cab. When I went to the valet area and asked for a cab, the guy there was super helpful and got the car service for us - he gets an excellent rating from us.

The girl at front desk was also rude on checkout and didn't even bother to ask us how our stay was - which I found unusual - bc I would have told her all of this then. At this point, I was just ready to get home.

There are much better hotels and views very close to this hotel - stay in the St Regis or Omni (a little more $, but so much nicer).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TGY0601
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Fleas in the room, asked to be moved and new room old and smelly. Definitely NOT a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business