“Great find!”
Review of Macondo Bistro - CLOSED

Macondo Bistro
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was staying downtown at the Hilton and was looking for someplace to eat that I couldn't find at home. Found Macondo via good reviews on Yelp and decided to give it a try. It was a bit of a long walk in the heat but definitely worth it. Can't remember the name of the dish I ordered for breakfast but it was delicious. The salsa on my eggs was fresh and the refried beans were definitely unlike the beans many are used to at restaurants across the country. Wish I'd ordered coffee (saw others ordering coffee drinks and they looked great) but my iced tea tasted like it was freshly brewed. A pretty good value, too. Service was good but not something I'd write home about.

1  Thank justpeachykeane

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dropped in on a hot evening after walking around downtown Houston. The beer was ice cold and our ceviche appetizer was excellent. The traditional ropa vieja dish was also pretty good. The Macondo Del Mar, however, was inedible - I mean really bad. The seafood was old, had a smell to it, and was mushy as if it had been handled (refrozen, maybe?) poorly. On top of that, despite having eaten only two bites, our server cleared the table and didn't ask why we hadn't eaten that dish. When it still appeared on our bill, we decided to pay the tab, leave, and never return.

If you want a cold beer and a cozy place to chat, this is a good choice. If good food is your goal, there are many superior options within a very short walking distance.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had the eggs and steak plate (no I do NOT remember the name). This came with rice, beans, chorizo, with a think flank steak and topped with 2 eggs, cooked how you like them. My wife had a plate with eggs, pico, and some sort of pancake looking thing that was quite good. Our favorite was my plate (yes we like to try new things including what the other got! sometimes making the other jealous of our choice - this time I won!) Good coffee and the waitress we had was friendly and helpful. Very good place for breakfast. a great place for a great brunch and good coffee!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

this place was around the corner from our hotel, and much cheaper than the breakfast buffet there, so good points for that. The waitress was very friendly, but the food (breakfast tacos, eggs Mexicana) were uninspired - we cook better at home. No salsa, just hot sauce. Was hoping for better. Decor is nice, so has potential. I'm guessing dinner and lunch are better given the other reviews.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stopped by with family during our recent visit to Houston. Menu and decor inspired by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Food and service was great...owner even came out and gave us a free tasting of the desserts. Wish them the best in this up and coming neighborhood.