“Macondo has moved and is now open”
Review of Macondo Bistro - CLOSED

Macondo Bistro
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Reviewed 15 October 2014

Macondo has moved to 917 Franklin, Houston, TX 77002.
They just re-opened a few days ago and the food is as wonderful as ever. I had today's lunch combo for under $10. Incredible ceviche, followed by a vegetable beef stew with rice (or beans) and choice of corn or wheat tacos. The Colombian cappuccino is the best!
The owner shared that she plans to open 7 days a week for the present.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

First of all, downtown Houston is a very tough place to get a good meal after 5 pm during the week. With that said, we found Macondo late afternoon. They were out of a few things, like iced-tea. Not sure if they didn't want to brew a fresh pot or if they just are in the habitual routine of once you run out of something, they're done with it. Our server wasn't very accommodating, wasn't very fluent and didn't enhance our experience in any way. Fortunately, we know latin food, so the menu wasn't foreign for us (no pun intended). I had the bandeja paisa, which was amazing, my wife had the arroz con pollo (wasn't "wow'd" completely but happy), one son had the Macondo burger which he loved and my other son had the Cuban sandwich and he was on my wife's team. So we were split 50/50. Overall if they were writing this review, it probably would've been closer to a 3 1/2. We really wanted to try the dessert, but we were never offered by our server, so we passed. The place is eclectic and modern, the flavors are of a broad variety. They do a good job offering a sample of many latin flavors and I think overall they get it right.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was staying downtown at the Hilton and was looking for someplace to eat that I couldn't find at home. Found Macondo via good reviews on Yelp and decided to give it a try. It was a bit of a long walk in the heat but definitely worth it. Can't remember the name of the dish I ordered for breakfast but it was delicious. The salsa on my eggs was fresh and the refried beans were definitely unlike the beans many are used to at restaurants across the country. Wish I'd ordered coffee (saw others ordering coffee drinks and they looked great) but my iced tea tasted like it was freshly brewed. A pretty good value, too. Service was good but not something I'd write home about.

1  Thank justpeachykeane
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dropped in on a hot evening after walking around downtown Houston. The beer was ice cold and our ceviche appetizer was excellent. The traditional ropa vieja dish was also pretty good. The Macondo Del Mar, however, was inedible - I mean really bad. The seafood was old, had a smell to it, and was mushy as if it had been handled (refrozen, maybe?) poorly. On top of that, despite having eaten only two bites, our server cleared the table and didn't ask why we hadn't eaten that dish. When it still appeared on our bill, we decided to pay the tab, leave, and never return.

If you want a cold beer and a cozy place to chat, this is a good choice. If good food is your goal, there are many superior options within a very short walking distance.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had the eggs and steak plate (no I do NOT remember the name). This came with rice, beans, chorizo, with a think flank steak and topped with 2 eggs, cooked how you like them. My wife had a plate with eggs, pico, and some sort of pancake looking thing that was quite good. Our favorite was my plate (yes we like to try new things including what the other got! sometimes making the other jealous of our choice - this time I won!) Good coffee and the waitress we had was friendly and helpful. Very good place for breakfast. a great place for a great brunch and good coffee!