“Four hundred dollar Easter lunch for two”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #36 of 8,548 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Description: Located in the heart of Houston's Montrose area, Hugo's brings the exciting and earthy flavors of Mexico across the border. “Authentic Mexican cooking is a world-class cuisine that has remained virtually unchanged by the outside world," says Executive Chef Hugo Ortega of his native cuisine. "The food is as light and fresh as a seafood cocktail prepared by fishermen on the beach; as deep and complex as the moles of Oaxaca made with an astounding number of ingredients; and as earthy as the simplest handmade corn tortilla." With the opening of his namesake restaurant in 2002, Ortega journeyed full-circle to rediscover the foods of his homeland. The menu features traditional dishes from the many regions of Mexico, all made from scratch in Mexican tradition, including various cheeses, moles, tortillas and chocolate. The restaurant is also known for its stellar award-winning wine program, cocktail list and tequila menu.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Read about this restaurant sometime ago and marked it down as a place I wanted to visit my next special occasion which was Easter. On arrival noticed a huge line to get into their parking lot so parked on a side street with several other people arriving at same time.

After a lovely meal my wife suggested we put your place on a regular restaurant to visit list. On walking down the street I noticed two trucks towing cars away and my car missing. Several locals were out because of all of the noise and suggested I go back to hugo's as the valet parking people have a deal with a local towing company to tow vehicles (sign says no parking between 9am and 12 am) I arrived at a few minuets after noon and thought I was OK).

On return to restaurant was told there is only one company allowed to tow cars from that street and they were kind enough to call them for me. They did not have my car.

I called HPD and they said they would come by and take a report. After an hour wait I called company Hugos said was the only one allowed for towing and they still did not have car. Called HPD record keeping and they told me it had been towed to a lot on Tidwell.

Told management how disappointed I was in this situation and they could of cared less.
While waiting for cab noticed four other couples wondering where there car was. Gave them the HPD number I had. Also while waiting noticed another car parking on street and warned them away.

I understand this is not Hugo's your problem but it appears your Valet people and possibly your restaurant is profiting from this situation. Needless to say my wife has suggested we never return to your restaurant. I hate to give the above rating as food is five star.

2  Thank timbom
1_HRG, Guest Relations Manager at Hugo's, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

We are really sorry that happened! We absolutely do not profit from this.We would never do that to our costumers. We try and do our best to inform our guest of the towing zone areas around us. The neighborhood residents put the sign up and we have no power over that. We are working on getting more parking area and I will inform our employees to be more aware of were our guest park. Once again sorry about your experience and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went for Easter brunch and were blown away. Food as served buffet style, but the friendly and attentive servers brought drinks and restocked dishes and flatware.

The space is open and pleasant. There is a good sized bar along one side. Above the bar, a mariachi band (a very good one, I might add) played wonderful background music.

The food was awesome. Several varied egg dishes. Rice and bean dishes. Carnitas. Tacos, enchiladas and tamales. Wide varieties of vegetable and salad dishes. Stuffed and roasted peppers. Ceviche, oysters, fish dishes. Fruit and fruit dishes. Mexican hot chocolate.

And the desserts. Usually I suffer here, as I am gluten free of necessity. But here there were amazing flan, Macrons, rice pudding and "shots" of a tapioca dessert. Plus a tremendous array of cakes, pies, cookies and the like for others.

A full bar. We live bed our Bloody Mary's and mojitos.

The price ($45) was very fair.

A James Beard award winner, and one of the top two Mexican restaurants in the country (along with Topolobampo in Chicago).

Go!

That is really great to hear! Thank you for coming!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Being from a country where Mexican eateries are few and far between we were keen to try somewhere described as 'authentic'. While in truth we have no idea what 'authentic' Mexican actually is, we do know that we greatly enjoyed our experience at Hugo's. Large cheery dining room, efficient staff, and (importantly for tourists) a menu that focussed on clarity rather than obfuscation. We enjoyed every dish we chose and would definitely recommend.

That is really great to hear! Thanks for coming.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

The menu is innovative (as you’d expect from a James Beard Award winner). The wine list is pleasantly surprising. Save room for dessert.

Thanks! Our salmonier Sean Beck will be pleased to hear!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Hope you are lucky enough to have Victor as your server, prepare yourself for a special experience. His knowledge of mexican cuisine, tequilas, deserts and history (yes, history) will leave your-already-amazing experience, well, speechless. The service was a bit slow to my standards but the quality of the food and the great service wins over a few more minutes of waiting for Victor to come back to our table. They offer the best Tres Leches so far (and believe me, I have tried thousands of Tres Leches, but none like theirs). Buen provecho!

Thanks for letting me know. We will work with him on his speed. Thanks for coming!