“Horrible customer service, but good food!”

Island Spice Bar & Grill
Ranked #4,861 of 8,629 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 8 October 2017

The food here is delicious, however, the wait time for food was way too long. We arrived here at 8:11pm, placed an order at 8:20pm. We ordered a beef and chicken patty as an appetizer, 2 cocktails and oxtails and jerk chicken w/ rice for our entree. The beef patty arrived at 840pm and our entrees arrived at 8:56pm. Mind you we still didn't get the chicken patty. When our waiter brought the food out, I inquired about the chicken patty and he said it should be out in 2 minutes. My family and I finished our meals by 9:20pm, still no chicken patty. I asked for the check and the waiter took off the chicken patty from our bill and bagged it for us to take home. If it wasn't for the wait time, I would have rated this restaurant a 5 star. I honestly didn't want to leave a tip, but my husband insisted. I'm in a customer service industry and at no point did we receive an apology for waiting so long and our order not being correct. The place was not busy at all! At the most, there were 4 tables of people dining in. They had 1 cook, 2 bartenders/waiters and both owners were present chatting and laughing at the bar.

This will be my last time coming here! I strongly suggest ordering your food before you arrive. At least it will be ready to eat by the time you get there.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Ummm what can I say / food is ok/ takes a long time for order to come/ too pricey and lesser portions/ great location/ they do have some fun nights I have been to/ Friday nights are mostly good ..

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

The food was good and the fried plantains were very good. I do believe the food was authentic for Jamaica, but it was not impressive.
Service was slower than I would have expected, but not bad.

Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

My wife and I visited there on a Saturday around 1:00pm. Apparently the lunch crowd had already gone since we were the only customers in there. The waitress was busy clearing tables and setting them up again.

We both ordered jerk chicken. Mine was chicken breast with white rice and she had dark meat with rice and peas which is really rice and red beans. We both enjoyed our meals. The only negative thing is the long wait. As mentioned we were the only patrons and had to wait about 30 minutes for our food to arrive. I wonder if it's any better in the evening...

Overall we enjoyed our visit but we probably won't be regular customers here.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Went with my Groupon. I ordered the Beef meatpie. It was fabulous! If you're hungry, order it, because it came out fast and hot! I ordered the curry chicken, but got the curry goat. I didn't complain, because it was tasty. I asked for cabbage, but it never came out. When I inquired about it, she said it was gone. If I'd known, then I would have ordered something else. The rice and peas never came out either, so I still wanted it, but took it 'to go'. I also asked for Pinot Grigio, but got White Zinfandel. There was only one server, but maybe 10 customers. I live in Pearland and came a long way to support the restaurant, but I won't return. It's a shame that such good food is served in a slow way. I wish you luck, but I can't recommend this place to anyone!