“Authentic Italian food owned by an Italian and run by Italians = Fantastico”
Review of Mascalzone

Mascalzone
Reserve with OpenTable
Mascalzone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #411 of 9,027 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: MASCALZONE RISTORANTE E PIZZERIA: HOUSTON'S NUMBER ONE DESTINATION FOR AUTHENTIC ITALIAN CUISINE. For more than 3 years, Houstonians have flocked to Mascalzone for its classic housemade pastas, its traditional-style pizzas, and its selection of homemade gelato and desserts, including its legendary Tiramisu. There's a reason why our Italian food is so good: WE ARE ITALIAN! We use only top ingredients imported directly from Italy, including Neapolitan flour for our pastas, house-baked breads, and pizza, and San Marzano tomatoes for our sauces. Our mission is to share the true Italian dining experience with our guests — the way we love to eat in Italy. Italian is spoken at Mascalzone!
Reviewed 5 April 2018

This place has Italy written all over it. I was sent her by my brother in law, thanks Ray!

We went in for lunch and were immediately met by Bruno and his host. Bruno is pictured here next to his rare Maranaforni rotating pizza oven. This should be a hint.
Not knowing me, he gives us a tour and he is involved, it’s obvious. The black and white pictures are from famous Italians and quite charming and refreshing.

Mascalzone was created by former boxing pro Andrea Magi. This place has stayed true to its authentic Italian style all the way to using the correct dough for pizza vs bread. I did not know it but apparently they are known for their Mascalzone, half Calzone and half pizza, see the picture and look at the knife compared to this monster! It’s "YUGE". They use fresh and mostly organic ingredients with several gluten -free options. They serve a typical but wonderful large portion Italian fare menu.

My wife had the Carbonara as pictured. As a first generation Italian, she was impressed. Apparently Bruno goes back to his roots to stay in touch.

Lunch is served with bread and rolls, oil and balsamic bottles along with a spicy tomato paste which I need to go buy to take home. Wow, that its good stuff.

I had a drink from the bar and they actually put alcohol in it, it was very nice. (Mule)

We noticed that he served Profiteroles. A great favorite, but as we were talking to Bruno, yes he comes by to make sure your happy, he mentioned a recipe from his mother that he makes in a corn flour style cake, I can’t remember the name ( sorry its late), but wow. This is a desert that that I have only seen here and odds are you will not outside of this place. Just ask him, please!

Friday nights they have live Jazz with Tianna Hall, one of the best Jazz singers in Houston, along with Greg Petito on guitar- IMHO.

Do I recommend it, YES. Will I be back, you bet, especially on a Friday night. It is not close to me but it’s worth the drive. Avanti, finisci di mangiare!

2  Thank BWB77024

Reviewed 6 February 2018

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent lunch at Mascalzone. The tender beef in the Risotto with ribs was smothered in a wonderful dark source flavored with drippings from the short ribs. The Grilled lamb chops were cooked perfectly as ordered with an outstanding grilled flavor. The chops were accompanied with grilled mixed vegetables. The dishes went perfectly with the wines recommended by our server, Ezequiel. The chocolate gelato had the expected intensity of flavor with a bit more creamy texture than I recall Italian gelato having. The new dessert, Orange Crème brûlée, is not to be missed. It had the extremely smooth texture of a perfect brûlée with a hint of orange.
This was our first visit to Mascalzone but certainly not our last.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

I have been for lunch a couple of times, the food is great and the portions are large. The staff are friendly and helpful, I would go back and would recommend anyone looing for Italian food in the area.

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Real italian restaurant, where all the staff make you feel at home. Very rich menu full of particular dishes, starting from the soup up to the dessert.
Pasta was fantastic: perfect cooking time and full of flavours.

Recommended to everyone who want to eat very well!

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We made dinner reservations for 7 and had an extraordinary meal. Service was friendly and our good was delicious. Each of us ordered different entrees including the octopus which was really good. The mascalzone was a unique first for us with a calzone on one side and pizza on the other. Delicious! We had desserts and espresso afterwards. A wonderful restaurant and the huge pizza oven was imported from Italy. A true Italian experience. Will return again!