“Great Food & Great Steaks”
Review of Cool River

Cool River
Reserve with OpenTable
Cool River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 696 Restaurants in Irving
Price range: US$28 - US$65
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MacArthur Blvd.
Description: Cool River Café is... an upscale steak house and southwestern grille set in an elegant dining atmosphere marked by fine woods, dramatic ceilings, large stone fireplaces and hand-crafted chandeliers. Our private dining facilities provide a refined ambiance perfect for any social gathering. Within our 22,000 square feet, we offer not only private dining rooms but a variety of entertainment diversions including billiard rooms and a Cigar & Cognac Lounge featuring an extravagant humidor and an impressive cigar menu. Cool River Café showcases a full-service bar with an award-winning wine list that features more than 400 labels! Conveniently located just 10 minutes from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport in Las Colinas - the business district of Irving - one mile south of 114 at the corner of MacArthur Boulevard and Hidden Ridge.
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Cool River Las Colinas is a great place for romantic dinner and a great steak. The service is always good, the decor is a beautiful, and the food and drinks are always good. There is also a great night club on the bar side of the restaurant. They have great bands, however, they allow smoking so when you go home you smell like an ashtray. I find it hard to believe that if they prohibited smoking, their crowd would be even bigger.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank GregoryShaffer
Management response:Responded 28 April 2017

Thank you, Gregory!

Just so you know, we have limited the smoking to the Cigar Lounge as of September 2016. The doors always remain closed when guests are smoking in there, and the rest of the bar is now non smoking! We hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 23 April 2017

This was my first time to dine at Cool River and the food was really good. I was with a large group that had about 1/4 of the restaurant rented out so we ate buffet style. I therefore cannot comment fully on the service except to say that it took a few minutes to get plates and bread in the buffet line when they ran out.

The food was really good! The 1/4 dark roasted chicken leg/thigh was out of this world and the green beans had a ton of flavor. The new potatoes were decent although some were very large and not thoroughly baked/boiled. Guys at my table remarked that the roast beef was good. The bread was crusty on the outside and soft on the inside--as it should be--and the butter was flavorful.

One of the two desserts was a moist vanilla cake with an orange marmalade-like layer through the middle--it was out of this world!

The atmosphere was fine, a mixture of high end steakhouse and trendy sports bar where people go to see and be seen. There are plenty of places to go so if that atmosphere doesn't suit you, go elsewhere.

They had a good number of local beers on tap, 12 I believe. I think they had about 36 taps so that's a pretty good ratio between local and non-local crafts.

I would definitely go back!

1  Thank Bradley M
Management response:Responded 26 April 2017

We are so happy you enjoyed that event. It was an honor to host you and the rest of your group. Thank you for all that you do!

Reviewed 17 April 2017

Well my faithful followers, let me tell you about a place you should not waste your time going because one, if you don't like the food they will call the police on you and cite you for trespassing instead of negotiating what you feel as a customer is fair a reasonable to pay. That is besides the point, the food is trash. I started my degradable evening off with calamari which was by far the worst I have ever had in my life! Thank God, it was half off due to happy hour. The flour based coating was bland with not a spec of salt, flavor nothing! I felt like i was consuming fried frozen rubber. Then they had the NERVE to top it off with the Holy Trinity (the base you start off a pot of gumbo with; bland onions, bell peppers) and then compliment you with A side of diced Italian tomatoes from the can. Then sadly enough, I was like OK I am going to go all out and order the Prime Rib Sand which for $16.95 and got again a bland retirement home tasting Arby's sandwich! The strips of meat were tasteless, the bread was a hard as a rock, and what ever brown sauce they served up on the side tasted like they cleaned all the black stuff off the grill with some water and let it drip into a sauce bowl! The only thing good was the loaded baked potato! DO NOT! AND I REPEAT DO NOT WASTE YOUR GOOD HARD EARNED MONEY HERE! I pray they atleast know how to make a steak.

Management response:Responded 20 April 2017

TC, as we have stated in your Yelp, Facebook, and Google reviews, we apologize that you were unhappy with the food selections and your experience at our restaurant. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

From steaks to crab cakes and sandwiches it is all first rate. Great bar with all the trimmings. Does excellent business and has quiet the following. It has earned it reputation. Just a great place to eat and entertain.

Management response:Responded 20 April 2017

JP, thank you so much! We are thrilled you had such a great experience and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

The food was OK so is the service, you may like the atmosphere I didn't, there are better steak restaurants in Dallas, for the price I would choose another place.

Management response:Responded 13 April 2017

Roger,

Thank you for your review, and we apologize that you did not enjoy the environment! Our bar area is a little more relaxed but we do have a formal dining room and different private dining spaces if you are interested in joining us again! We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Cool River? Share your experiences!