All reviews back porch bonnie and clyde b bs llano river bed and breakfast hill country banks victorian wedding bridge house
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the Dabbs Hotel B&B May 24-26th, 2014. From the first time speaking with David, the manager, we knew we would be in good hands! Both he and his wife Susan were excellent hosts and his breakfasts were delicious!! We stayed on the first floor next to the front door. Because we arrived late, it was not too much of an inconvenience with people coming and going, but I can see for late sleepers they may opt for the second floor. Our bathroom had a separate dressing area and a beautiful claw footed tub with the very best shower I think I have ever had!! It was hard to convince myself that it was time to get out and if it weren't for my conscience telling me I was being wasteful, I would probably have stayed in another hour!

After walking around Llano Square and enjoying the numerous antique and gift shops, we drove to Castelle for a burger and beer on our second day and would highly recommend the 18 mile trip along the river. We then headed down to Fredericksburg via some neat back roads where we bought some delicious orange vodka and other alcohol filled chocolate delicacies at a chocolate shop Heading back to Llano we drove north on 16 and hit the infamous Willow City Loop drive. It was beautiful!! The curvy road going alongside cliffs and hills we were delighted to see all the deer and redbirds We can only imagine how it must look when the wildflowers are more abundant!

Hungry and back in Llano at 8:00 on a Sunday night, our forever helpful host recommended we try out the China Wok a few blocks away as they were the only late night restaurant open. We were pleasantly surprised by the freshness and quality of this establishment that has thrived in Llano for the past seven years.

Retiring back at the Dabbs, we scooped up a few bowls of ice cream and visited or a spell before snuggling up in our cozy room and listening to the rain.

After getting up unnaturally late...for the second day in a row...on Monday we were presented with sausage and homemade hash brown breakfast tacos accompaned with fresh fruit and Starbucks coffee. It was the perfect start to our day! After breakfast we visited with David and Susan... It was like being with family. They are both so warm and comfortable to be around.

I think the only thing I would have liked better about the Dabbs would be if there was a lounging area to socialize in. But as busy as we were and eager to explore the surrounding areas, we probably would not have had much of a chance to use it much anyway!

I would highly recommend The Dabbs! It was a highlight and a great place to call home on our trip.

Room tip: Upstairs offers more privacy... But we were very content downstairs with the light occupancy.
Date of stay: May 2014
3  Thank 799jills
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My fiance (now husband) and I decided to get married at the Dabbs after being turned off by the prices we found in nearby Fredericksburg. All of our friends and family said it was one of the best weddings they have ever been to. The grounds were well taken care of and there was green plants and flowers everywhere. Phyllis is just a wonderful woman and was available to help us out with anything we needed. She is also an awesome breakfast cook!We had a good variety of food: pancakes, sausage, fresh fruit, juice, muffins, bagels. We paid extra to have full use of the kitchen and it was so helpful. The kitchen is huge and looks like it has been recently remodeled. We rented out the whole hotel for the weekend and had about 15 people stay there. It was the same price if not cheaper than any place we looked at renting in Fredericksburg, and we would have only gotten those places for a few hours, not the whole weekend!
If you're looking for a 5-star resort, this isn't it! Though, good luck finding that in Llano :) This is a nice quiet place to sit and visit on the porch with your loved ones- there's no TV or phones in any rooms. The only bad things is the beds are small (full size) and some are pretty squeaky but everything was so clean and there were plenty of towels, robes, shampoo and all that good stuff, and we had 7 girls getting ready for wedding stuff there! There was even a little travel kleenex pack in each room, which really came in handy. We will definitely come back and stay here anytime we need to be in Llano.

Date of stay: May 2011
2  Thank countrygirl2099
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Wow. I read the other reviews of the Dabbs Hotel and was shocked. My experience was completely different than what I read. Arriving at the hotel, the proprietor, a very cheerful lady named Phyllis was there to greet me. After giving me the keys, she gave me a tour of the place, and it reminded me of boyhood visits to a favorite Aunt's huge old ranch house. The decor was charming, with a nice sized dining area with granite topped tables and large windows looking out over a nice big porch with more granite topped tables, where we opted for breakfast the following morning, delicious migas, tortillas, fresh coffee and orange juice. The sound of the river falling over the dam was soothing.
The rooms, while small, were clean and very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and not squeaky at all. The bathroom was down the hall, which is not my favorite setup, but it was clean and comfortable, with a good shower with good water pressure. I slept very soundly.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Benardous
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Forget everything you've read about Dabbs Railroad Hotel. Yes, it still retains the old charm of turn of the century Llano, but this bed and breakfast has undergone some major transformations over the past couple of years, all for the better.
The old Dabbs that many remember from the late 80's and early 90's has all but vanished, replaced with an updated version of itself that manages to retain the "bones" of the original while adding a polish that the former self lacked.
While this hotel is most notable for guests like Bonnie and Clyde, plus a host of current celebrities (who shall rename nameless!) it should be noted that the unobstructed views of the Llano River, biscuits and gravy in the morning, and the out-of-tune Llano Piano on the front porch that gave the place a sense of tradition all remain.
The exterior and interior have been freshly painted, fixtures updated, the kitchen and dining areas expanded, the rooms and bathrooms thoroughly renovated... and yes, clean sheets and towels are provided. The cleanliness of this place cannot be overstated.
This is the perfect place for a romantic getaway for two, or a group of 20 or more, as you can rent a room, the sleeping porch, or the whole house.
Our peaceful weekend getaway to Llano included a tour of the local Fall Creek Winery, antique shopping, dinner at the Llaneaux Seafood house followed by complimentary beer while watching the sunset from the back porch.
While Llano may be officially known as the "Deer Capitol of Texas," once the secret of this riverfront hotel gets out it may become known hereafter as "Home of The Dabbs."

Date of stay: November 2010
2  Thank adboy68
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We were the only guests the weekend we stayed. We found the bed and linens to be very comfortable and inviting, as well as the bath. We most enjoyed our time reading in the chairs out on the lawn as we listened to the river. The manager showed up to cook us breakfast at our requested time, and it was a delicious homecooked meal. He was very friendly and accommodating. The two of us also enjoyed walking through town, browsing antique stores, and we walked right across the street to Llaneaux Seafood House for dinner one night. It was just the break we needed from city life.

Date of stay: July 2009