“Tasty Veggie Enchiladas with Shrimp Sauce, Tons of (Broken) Chips and Garlicky Salsa, Very Good Service in a Busy Bar Ar”

The Plaza Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 629 Restaurants in Lubbock
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I visited The Plaza on a Wednesday evening around 6:45pm. The parking lot was full and I saw vehicles parked on grass south of the restaurant. I went in and was told there was one low-top table in the bar area if I didn’t want to sit at the bar itself (where there were a couple of empty seats). The rest of the restaurant was full and several parties were waiting, which is often a sign of a popular restaurant. I took the low-top table in the bar area, the hostess gave me food and drink menus, and it took a few minutes before a waitress showed up as the area was very busy with a combination of high-top and low-top tables, all full by the time I sat down. The waitress brought a large bowl of chips and a big mini-molcajete full of salsa (see picture). Having had plenty of time to study the menu, I ordered a draft Modelo Especial (22 oz. version, the “tall”) and Enchiladas Veracruz. It took about 10 minutes to get my beer and my waitress came by as I was waiting to explain the bar was backed up with so many patrons. The salsa has a hint of spiciness but lots of garlic tang. The chips, unfortunately, were crisp but most were broken up so the large bowl didn’t contain very many full chips. It wasn’t too long after I got my beer when the enchiladas came out. They were accompanied by a small lettuce-tomato side salad, rice (see picture), and a small bowl of charro beans. The inside of the enchiladas has spinach, squash, and zucchini and they are topped with a cream vegetable and shrimp sauce (there was a shrimp per enchilada). I found the taste to be very good. Considering how busy the bar area was, I felt the service was very good. I’d return to try other menu choices. The only thing I found disappointing was that “Camarones a la Diabla” (spicy shrimp) was not on the menu, and I like to try this dish wherever I go around the United States to see the different recipes and presentations.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

the food was great....the chips was just right...the hot sauce to die for....got the hotter sauce to try... this is our 2nd time at the Plaza... we ate in the bar this time and watched the Texas Tech game...

Reviewed 7 November 2017

We live in California and real good Tex-Mex food is almost impossible to find. The Mexican food in CA is very plan or tasteless. The Plaza was a great food experience.

1  Thank Bigred4414
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Very good homecooked authentic Mexican food. Enchiladas are great as well as fried chile rellenos. Family eats here atleast once or twice a month.

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Went to Lubbock last weekend at tech homecoming game. Took my family to this restaurant. Great food. Great service. Ive always enjoyed the one in Amarillo when passing thru but this one is even better. You must try