TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 September 2016

My wife and I had visited this hotel a few years ago, and took the opportunity to stay again, albeit only for an overnight stay. Our room was larger than on the previous occasion and very comfortable. We had dinner there that evening and food was excellent. The buffet breakfast the following morning was varied and plentiful. If we are in the area again in the future, we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2015

Just 7 km from the A7, we found an oasis of calm, wonderful service, good food and large nice rooms. Top Cleanliness and very good quality bedding. We will definitely be back and prefer this hotel with pleasant atmosphere and calm pulse.

Room Tip: Cheap upgrade to superior rooms
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2014

Although 6/7 miles from the autobahn, we found this hotel with little difficulty. The village is small and the hotel is in the centre with more than adequate parking for cars. My wife and I had a spacious, comfortable double room; the hotel has gardens surrounding the hotel which were well maintained. We didn't use the swimming pool, but again, it looked good. The restaurant was always quite busy, which in itself says something for the quality of the food on offer. There was a varied menu with usual price ranges, but overall we didn't find the prices over expensive compared to that in UK. We would certainly use this hotel again when in the area.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I must direct you to Carol I's Feb 2013 review which is right on the money about this place. We love to find gems like this outside of the bigger cities which allow us to save some of our travel budget while enjoying much better facilities compared to what similar accommodations would cost closer to the hustle and bustle. Oberaula is NOT a destination by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a great overnight refuge when cutting a longer trip in two, or to use as a home base for a few days while visiting cities in the area.

The charming and spotlessly clean facility is quite large, but it feels cozy when you are staying in the main house. As long as you're not on the street side, it's also quieter there, away from happy children enjoying the play area in the back till midnight at the top of their lungs.

The service throughout was extremely friendly, helpful and professional and mostly English-capable if needed. We felt like valued guests immediately. By German standards, the room was quite large and the bathroom was immense with a terrific shower and a magnifying mirror (hallelujah).

But above all, we highly recommend the restaurant. It offers an excellent ambiance and the decor, with the knotty pine, is extremely pleasant. The food is plentiful, interesting and the quality outstanding. In the summer, try to reserve one of the few tables near a window. It was 30 degrees every day we were there (sigh), and of course, there's no A/C. We found that sitting near an open window and then twisting off the light bulb in the fixture hanging above the table really cut down on the blast furnace effect. There is also a casual dining area down the stairs from the restaurant which is outside, but it seemed best suited for families with energetic youngsters, smokers, or people in their swimsuits.

Despite our delight with this restaurant, we wanted to try another one for variety one evening and were very disappointed. There is nothing else worth trying in this little village. This place stands alone as the true "Stern".

Room Tip: The main building upstairs and away from the street is your quietest bet. If you're driving, carry a portable electric fan.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This is our 5th overnight stay at Zum Stern, so we should have written a review before now. The dearth of reviews in English shows that few non-Germans know of this gem. My husband discovered this whilst researching a staging post to break a long car journey south; we liked it so much we have used it since. This family-run hotel lies about 10km west of the A7 autobahn, junction 86, going north from Fulda, situated in Oberaula. The hotel has 66 different-sized rooms in various buildings around a lovely garden area (with a stream flowing through the middle), most with balconies. It is a sport and wellness hotel, with many different massage and cosmetic treatments available; it has access to indoor tennis and squash courts right behind the hotel, and a golf course up the hill above the village. Free WLAN is available in all rooms. We have always had a large room looking over the garden, as do most; only rooms 1-3 face the road. The room has good quality rustic wooden furniture and fittings, including full rustic pine panelling at the far end of the room, a sofa, lounge chair and desk as well as a typical German double bed; and a good, if slightly dated, shower room. It has a lovely if small swimming pool, and sauna facilities.
We have always eaten an evening meal and the quality and choice of the food is excellent. The restaurant was busy for a February weekend, every table was reserved so booking is recommended. On this stay I chose Wildgulasch- a casserole of roe deer, red deer and wild boar, with spatzle; my husband had schnitzels of wild boar with fried potatoes, both of us had a good salad alongside: wonderful, and it came out amazingly quickly. Breakfasts are similarly of a high standard, with a fancy ‘water cooker’, so making proper tea is easy – not always so in most German hotels. We have always spoken German to the staff, who have coped with our appalling German very politely, and never heard a word of English uttered here; but the last booking my husband made was written and replied to in English.
There are lovely little touches: I forgot to bring my reading glasses with me to dinner, and when I mentioned this, the waitress told me not to worry, they had spares. Surely enough, out came a small basket of different-strength reading glasses to save me a trip upstairs. The area is full of half-timbered houses – Fritzlar, for example, is worth a visit. We have spoken more than once of spending a few days here and exploring the region more fully; if we can afford to put on the weight from all the delicious food we will eat!
Cost – between 82 and 104€, depending on the type of room for B & B for two. Dinner was 47€ with a decent (19€) bottle of wine – bargain!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple