“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Wexford, Ireland
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed half board at the Hesperia hotel for a week in June 2011 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We went half board and the food in the canteen was lovely. Though it isn't great for choice sometimes, the food is still well prepared and you can eat as much as you like. The only thing you have to pay for are drinks, however the tea and coffee is free. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and very helpful as well. The rooms were cleaned daily and in great condition. Air condition worked perfectly and we were able to watch tv whenever we weren't out(which wasn't very often!). There are mostly only spanish chennels available but I recognised some French and German on some channels. The only channels in English were news channels. Our rep, Ciara, from our holiday prvider was the nicest person you could meet was very helpful in answering our questions. The location of the hotel is lovely. My boyfriend and I had a beach view from our balcony. Though there are rooms where the view is somewhat obstructed by the palm trees outside the hotel entrance. The pool was lovely and clean though it was a bit too cold for me personally.

Though if you are staying in Santa Ponsa, I HIGHLY recommend Ms Murphy's Kitchen. My boyfriend and I went there a few times during our stay! The food there was lovely and the staff were very friendly. Service was reasonably quick. The only thing I would have to warn you about are the very steep stairs to the bathrooms. There is no wheelchair access to it and the steps are very steep. It would be very easy to fall.

There are planty of activities to do on the island though you will need to bring extra money if you plan on travlling around using buses and taxis. My boyfriend and I visited Golf Fantasia, Marineland, Katmandu, Fatboy Slim at Mallorca Rocks hotel, the bus tour around Palma and the Cathedral as well as the Palace. We also visited Palma Aquarium and saw the Night of Fire celebrations by the Cathedral in Palma.

Golf Fantasia was a lot of fun. The scenery around the courses was beautiful. The tickets are flexible so you can come and go as you please throughout the day. We played the first two difficulties and went off for something to eat before returning at night to do the last course. The course at night is as beautiful as it is during the day. The waterfall that greets you on the way in changes colours at night.

Marineland was lovely to walk around though the parrot show wasn't as good as I had hoped. The dolphin and Sealion show more than makes up for any faults you could find. It was a fun show to watch.

Katmandu was a new attraction, we had been told. It is basically an upside down house with all sorts of stange things exhibited. You could also go golfing and watch a 4d mini movie in the theatre there if you liked. There is a restaurant built into the house itself and the food there was lovely as well. It's well worth going to see at least once. A lot of the exhibits are rather interesting and educational. We went to the Fatboy Slim concert afterward and it was great! He put on a great show. The only thing I could fault there were the prices of merch at the hotel gift shop. It was rather expenseive and I couldn't even afford a t-shirt with the money I had brought for the week.

The bus tour around Palma was ok. There were seats were the headphones didn't work and so you couldn't hear anything about the places you were visiting. We got off at Belver Castle andit's well worth it. You really get to see the history of the island and there is a great view overlooking Palma city itself. The Palace was lovely to see and educational. However, you're not allowed to take pictures. We found out before leaving for our holiday that it's free in on Wednesdays. However when we got there, the said you need your passport or drivers license! I don't think bringing those important items around with you is all that smart now in fairness! The Cathedral wasn't worth the money it cost us getting in. It was very boring and you couldn't even take pictures( though at this point I was fed up of being told what I can and can't document from my holiday so I took pictures anyway.)

Palma Aquarium was fun to visit and educational about marine life. There are certainly some very interesting things there. Apparently, if you're lucky enough, you can see the Sand Tiger sharks and Sandbar sharks being fed. You can also get in the tank with them if you have 250euro to spare. You could go diving with stringrays for around 12euro. You don't need to be able to swim as it is a small tank and you are weighted down so you just walk around. The food in the canteen there was nice and you could pick from multiple choices of meat and veg dishes.

The Night of Fire was fun to be at. It took place around the Cathedral on the 23rd June. There were lots of firework diplays and lots of dancers dressed up as demons with pitchforks and carrying fireworks. There was lots of music from a live band as well. Though it doesn't start until late so it might not be for everyone.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back there again in a heartbeat. The beach across from the hotel was very clean and the water lovely and warm. The hotel itself was very good for a 3 star.

Room Tip: The rooms over the door don't have the best view of the sea and beach. Book early if you want a...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank 1voryr0se

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

After a screw up by Playas del Rey with my booking, and only 4 weeks to go, I booked this hotel.
I fould it ticked most of the boxes. Staff very friendly, maids always said Hola! rekfast to die for, and although B & b Dinner looked OK also. Pool was excellent with plenty of sun beds. receptionists were all helpful and pleasant, helped when our bags didnt arrive till next day, and checked in and printed boarding cards on leaving, with no charge.
Only criticism, I booked a room with "a scenic view". This was on 1st floor overlooking the roof below and pool in the right hand corner. On saying we didnt like it they offered us a side room which was better except that there was ahuge palm tree right in front of us. When I asked about a sea view this was to cost an extra €8 per night. I feel that NH Hotels should clearly define what they mean by a "scenic view". Having said that I would not hesitate to stay there again, as the hotel is very clean. Ourroom had adouble bed and a single bed, may have been better with 2 single beds to gove a little more room, and storage space and drawers could have been better. All in all a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask what they mean by a scenic view and dont hesitate to ask for a change
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank watchmanScotland
Carlow, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

i went to this hotel in august for a week with my boyfriend,the food is horrible we couldnt eat there and during our stay the cleaners robbed my watch and make up from our room,when i reported it to the manager he wasnt very helpful and done nothing about it!!i would not reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 03smiley24
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for just uner a week in July. The hotel is fine, its clean and well serviced. We stayed for bed and breakfast and althogh we didn't make it down everymoring due to some late nights, the morings we did we found the breakfast buffet to be of reasonable to good quality with pleanty of choice, although it was a bit hectic. There is a 10 euro deposit needed for the safe in the room and then they charge you 2 euros a day to use the safe - I didn't like this it should be free to use the safein your room.

The pool area was nice, we always found a sun lounger each that were next to each other and the pool was good and clean, not massive, but perfectly adequate. On some websites (we booked through JET2Holidays) its advertised as having a gym - it doesn't which was a dissapointment but it is not advertised as having one on their own website.

The location of the hotel Santa Ponsa is excellent - you walk across the road to the beach, if you turn left or right and you've got a restaurants, shops and bars.

All in all we found it to be a reasonable hotel, not outstanding but fine for a nice holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jonny909
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

After booking this holiday i looked over the tripadvisor reviews and wasn't looking forward to my stay. However, when I arrived i was pleasantly surprised and thought people had been reviewing some where else. Food was good, plenty of selections and always stocked up by friendly kitchen and restaurant staff. All hotel staff were friendly, hola everytime they passed you by and talking to the kids. Rooms were clean, comfortable and a welcome break to sit in air con'd room as was heatwave for our first few days - had to watch with a/c as wouldn't come on if doors leading to balcony were not shut properly.

Excellent location with everything being a short walk away, but my daughter never wanted to leave the hotel pool!!! Looking forward to going back again.

Room Tip: Our room was directly above entertainment area which could have been a problem if you were trying to...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family