“Hope it gets better”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Upon first sight of the restaurant its size was lacking, but I hold true to the Saying " don't Judge a book by a cover" and me and my girlfriend entered . The immediate atmosphere was warm and rustic, the walls were covered in a Base black paint and spackled with gold, then rust red paint. Simple abstract paintings of a woman, a staircase and dark colored scenes line the long wall to the right of the restaurant.
We stood near a podium at the entrance and waited for a server to notice us, we had reserved a week prior and had no problem with any wait time, however I imagine that the size requires consumers to reserve. Tables were lined in a row against the wall under the paintings. Black benches on the right and nice comfortable chairs were on the left. The space between tables left very little room for a couple to have any form of conversation without the people next to you hearing every single word. The table to our left not only found no problem in talking but also found it necessary to speak loudly, which wouldn't normally be a problem had they not been 4 feet from us.
The Service was respectable, however the server felt it necessary to work the tables he had as an assembly line, and calling out what he was getting for who and in what order. "I'm going to get your water, then yall's Steak and. . . " The problem was that he was so focused on stating aloud everyone's requests that he would forget it as he recited it, only retaining 90% of it rather than writing it down.
We ordered the Grilled Salmon, and the Lobster Ravioli. Salmon was fresh and 8/10, the Lobster Ravioli was 8/10 as well. overall the Entrees were not bad. The white sauce was perfect for the seafood taste and the chefs were good at their jobs.
It's what happened after our dinner that was different. As the waiter removed our plates from the table, he also removed a small golden "table Scraper" and proceeded to scrape the food scraps from the table onto the plates, and then he put the Scraper back into his pocket. so I couldn't help but to wonder when the last time he had washed his hands or the table scraper, because this was a "fine dining" restaurant we didn't have straws, so his hands were in direct contact with our glasses, so in turn that would mean that scrapings from other peoples tables could potentially be transferred to our glasses via his hands.
Dessert was great but the overall night had me wondering if we would come back.

1  Thank TheArtist2121

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I invited my inlays to dinner and wanted something different. I did a web search for seafood restaurants and found Finch Hutton's. I quickly called because I read reservations are required anyways able to get a table within 45 minutes. We arrived on time and the table was waiting for us. There is limited seating so eating early is a must for no wait. We ordered the tuna tower as an appetizer and it was the best tuna tartare I've ever had. I ordered the seared duck and requested vegetables instead of the grits and our waitress was happy to make the change. Our food arrived timely and was fantastic! We also had the stuffed flounder and shiitake filet and we were all very happy with our selections. We also ordered the bananas foster and creme brûlée for desert. I've never been a fan of bananas foster but I am now! The rum sauce was not overpowering but was decadent. There was not a flambé involved, which was fine with me. The meal was a little pricey (one appetizer, four entrees, two deserts, and tea to drink for $160) but the quality made it worth it! It was a bit chilly so bring a sweater. The ladies room was clean and very pretty. All in all a very enjoyable evening! We WILL be back!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife and I ate there with some friends and for me this was my first time to the restaurant . Very small with limited table so reservations are required and no walk ins. I had the bleu cheese korai burger which was very good and every else had the stuffed flounder. All said it was very good but my wife said hers had a strong fishy taste to it , not good. Boy was I surprise when the waiter ask what I wanted to drink and I said scotch and he said, sorry we do have a liquor license so beverages include wine, beer, tea and sodas. Bit of a let down to go into a fairly nice place which does not a liquor license. Atmosphere was ok but the building was very cold and we had to ask or waiter to turn of the heat twice. Overall a pleasant experience but not 5 star as they claim.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Visit 12/14/13

Very busy table of 7, all not served at same time, some food cold. Food very good, but would like to be served like the fine dining one was told could be found there. Waiter seemed to be high on something as he moved in slow motion. Over all one could recommend this restaurant if you have time to wait.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We are regulars... Great food... Love the atmosphere and the staff... Brunch is amazing... Finch burger is divine!!! The accommodate small groups as well as private parties... Deliciousness!