All reviews brew pub great historic hotel lots of history pulled pork tacos brewing company candied jalapenos great beer selection attached pub historic feel oldest bakery within walking distance cochinita alpine haus modern conveniences german restaurant front desk personnel king room
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Very historic hotel. Service is great and makes for easy check in/check out. Parking on-site is limited but had no issue. Drop your bags off first, then park. An old hotel with updated renovations that keep the historic feel. Updated bathroom with nice amenities. AC works great. Be sure to grab a pint in the attached pub with great beer selection and pub style food.

Room tip: Rooms and walls are all very quiet and had no issue. Stairs are steep but carpeted. The elevator is small so you may have to wait.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2018

We stayed at the Faust while attending a wedding in New Braunfels. Our experience was mixed. This hotel has a lot going for it, but it should be better, especially for the price.

At check-in, the friendly clerk began every other sentence with "Remember, this is a really old hotel, so...." She handed me a metal key on a tag, and told me I could leave it at the reception desk when we went out, or keep it. She warned that the parking lot was probably full (it was), but I could park at the lawyer's office across the street.

Our room--a king on the top floor--was clean and reasonably comfortable, but "this is a really old hotel..." so the room had more than a few quirks. One of the strangest is that there is a high step up into the bathroom (apparently the floor was built up to accommodate an update of the plumbing), which the desk clerk had warned me about. The air conditioning is an old unit in the window--it did keep our room cool on a very hot weekend, and it wasn't too noisy (some of our friends reported their units were very noisy), but it wasn't easy to control (basically, on or off). Also, thoughtlessly, the blackout curtain completely blocks the AC unit if the curtain is closed--I managed to fold the curtain up so we could have both darkness and cool air. All the "updates" to the room seem to have been done long ago and felt pretty tired. The most noticeable is the electrical conduit on the walls and the shortage of outlets (at least by modern hotel standards). The bed was softer than I would like, but was reasonably comfortable.

After getting settled, we walked across the street to a wonderful little German restaurant - the Alpine House.

My wife had noticed that we didn't have a bar of soap in our bathroom, so we stopped at the reception desk. The clerk told us that they had run out of bar soap, but gave us what she said was the last bar (indeed, while sitting in the lobby the next morning I heard a couple of people ask for soap and the clerk offered extra body wash gel instead).

The next morning, I was pleased to find free coffee in the lobby. When my wife was ready, it was a short walk to a nice cafe on the town plaza and for lunch we met friends at a great beer garden just a block from the hotel.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but next time we're in New Braunfels, we'll probably choose a more modern hotel. Bottom line, if you're willing to pay a premium for location and historic charm, and can overlook some flaws, the Faust is your hotel. If you want modern conveniences, choose one of the chains on the interstate.

Pros: historic charm, location, friendly staff, free coffee in the lobby
Cons: "its a really old hotel", the updates need updating, parking, they might run out of soap

Room tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid noise from events and the bar.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank texowl
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Oldest hotel in town, so be prepared; but it is full of flavor & history; staff very friendly & accommodating. Rooms were comfy & very clean. I was in town to meet friends and attend an event near hotel, so all was within walking distance. I was alone, so I booked the small queen room. After long drive to town-- I had lunch & tall cold German beer at a small German cafe across the street (Alpine Haus). Cool shade to rest and topped off with cherry strudel at oldest bakery in town nearby.

The only negative thing about this hotel is the stale odor that the window A/C unit brings into the room & no way to let in fresh air. That was not a pleasant smell to deal with if in the room alot. Otherwise, If this hotel would upgrade to central air, I would rate it higher.

Room tip: Street view, 2nd floor.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank roadhound1
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Didn’t stay in the hotel but t went to the restaurant. Loved th character. Historic bar, wonderful beers and food was excellent. The burgers looked so good we had to order. We were NOT disappointed. Yummy!!Hope to return one day.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We used them to cater our wedding. We had them do a bacon burger bar, but they completely forgot to give us bacon. It almost completely ruined the buffet and all the buffet signs that I hand made. Then when told Brandi, the manager in charge of our event. She said she'd give us refund of 50 cents a person and just said, "well it was just human error." I had to practically beg for any form of compensation and then she said shed comp a meal at their restaraunt for me and my Hub as if we just had a bad meal experience. She acted completely unprofessionally and didn't have a care in the world that she almost ruined the buffet. If the Faust knew what was good for them they wouldn't let Brandi manage anymore wedding accounts. Terrible experience.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Kalli K
BrandiJWhite, General Manager at The Faust Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Kalli,

Please accept our congratulations again on your marriage. I would like to personally apologize, once again, for our staff missing the bacon from your catering order. I assure you that if we had been notified the day of the event we would have been more than happy to immediately rush the bacon to your event, but unfortunately we were not notified until the following week.

While I haven’t had the opportunity to speak with you directly, I did receive a call from your mother the following week about the issue. During the conversation she informed me that we left off the bacon for your order. I did apologize profusely and immediately offered to refund the cost of the bacon, and subsequently provided a gift certificate for our restaurant to compensate you for your trouble.

Once again, on behalf of myself and The Faust Hotel & Brewing Co. staff, please accept our apology for missing the bacon topping off your order. We hope that you found the burgers and additional toppings satisfactory and regret that our mishap caused grief for you on your wedding day. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at (830)625-7791.

Kind Regards,