“some times it is good some times not so good”

Doubleday Bar of Champions
Ranked #21 of 51 Restaurants in Port Isabel
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Have been coming here for years and this place just seems to go up and down. I am never sure when I come here whether the food or service will be okay and honestly don't know why I keep giving it so many chances. Perhaps because every so often I am surprised when I find something that is tasty such as their Wednesday special - the Fajita Philly sandwich! Had this today and it was juicy and yummy. Sandwich was served with their homemade potato chip which are great because they are not loaded with salt. Was a nice meal. Staff seems to come and go although today's waiter was very good. I like that they have drink specials but their margaritas are not good like they used to be and it frustrates me that they serve beers like Blue Moon and Shocktop but never, ever, ever have the oranges that go with them! I comment on this every time I come here and still not one orange has appeared. This is South Texas ! there are oranges everywhere! Can't someone from Doubleday pick one up at the grocery store? or grab one off the neighbor's tree? even pick one up off someone's lawn?? Think this place needs a bit more direction and sprucing out by the owners.

1  Thank a b

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

This is by far the nicest place to dine in PI. The food and service is good but a little on the high side for the quality . The sports memorabilia is a nice touch but the music was a bit loud when we visited . Overall a nice clean place with average food.

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

We stopped in to watch the Hawkeye on Saturday. The staff was awesome. They turned on the game and we had chili con queso for an appetizer. I had fish tacos and my dad had chicken strips. Food was excellent. If you want to see sports memorabilia, this is the place to go!

Reviewed 29 May 2016

When I first stopped and Doubleday, I did know what to think of the place. It was 6:00 pm and the place was deserted.

My friend and I took a seat and the waitress came over and told us of the drinks special and handed us the menu. We still were not sure if we would stay or not so we ordered drinks and calamari to share. Calamari came out and the portion was generous, more than enough to share between two people. The longer we stayed the more the place began to grow on us. We had one more drink and then left for dinner on the island.

I would go back in the future, but i would pick a time during a sporting event that I wanted to fallow.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

The place is unique. Sports all over but in a nice way. They had live music, and people were dancing and it made a very cute atmosphere. Had a platter with "mexican" specialties and wasnt what had expected. Go for the burgers, all the way. They give the drinks in a big tar, so fun!