Residence Inn by Marriott Dallas Richardson
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$104
Hampton.com
All reviewsseparate bedroomsfront deskbuilding bsocial hourplatinum memberfrequent staysextended stayliving roomspecial thankslong term stayswimming poolin great conditionvery pleasant staytwo monthsneeded a place to stayhotel breakfasthotel stay
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Ricky and his crew were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. My family and I stayed for a little over a week. We had the two bedroom suite which was perfect. We were able to take advantage of the breakfast that was available each morning and then for most lunches and dinners we were able to stay in with our own kitchen area. There is a television in the living room as well as TV's in each bedroom. You can opt to have cleaning service come everyday to make sure the suite is clean. I would recommend this place. It isn't posh, but it is nice, definitely clean, spacious, welcoming and perfect for extended stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank KelliAshbrookCumming
Reviewed 10 July 2017

My husband and I travel for business 80% of the time, so I consider myself a bit knowledgeable about good and bad hotel stays. I’m not extremely picky but I won’t stay in a dump either.

Let me start with the good. Although very dated, this hotel has been upgraded in some areas and is comfortable. The majority of the staff members are professional, helpful and very nice people, from front desk to maintenance to housekeeping. They gave a very welcome feel to the hotel. There’s a nice barbeque grill and the breakfast buffet, although I did not partake, looked very good. Standard Residence Inn-type food complete with waffle maker, etc. They also have their typical social hour Monday thru Wednesday, complete with beer and wine, etc. The full kitchen is useful for us as is the laundry, which we were unable to use because we left so abruptly.

The bad and the ugly. Because the hotel is so dated, it smells dated. Hallways in Building A (which is where we stayed) and our room had a very moldy, wet smell. I remedied this by cleaning my own hotel room (which I always do) and burning incense. Our microwave died the second day we were there, but the awesome maintenance guy (Ricardo) replaced it right away. The bathtub fixtures are rusty looking and the coffee pot has seen better days. I’m sure if I had asked them to replace the coffee pot in the room, they would have done it because, as I stated previously, most of the staff members are very helpful. The carpet always felt moist as did the tile floors in the kitchen and bathroom. Very clammy! After walking around before getting into the shower, my feet were filthy from the floors as was apparent by the brownish water near the drain when I got into the shower. ICK! The elevator was so dated I was almost afraid to use it the couple of times that I did. However, I was willing to tolerate these small flaws for three weeks because it was livable and most of the staff members here are very nice.

The worst part of staying here and the reason for my poor review is all because of the last night we were there. We had originally booked the hotel for about three weeks but left after the fourth night. On Saturday night, apparently there was a wedding party staying and partying at the hotel. Our room overlooked the basketball court (another pain – Thunk! Thunk! Thunk! All day long) and was close to the pool area. There were about twenty people at the pool, laughing and talking very loud that Saturday night. It was 11:00pm when I asked my husband to call the front desk to see what time the pool closes. My husband and I are early risers and I am a much nicer person when I can get a decent night’s sleep. The woman at the front desk answered and when my husband asked about the pool hours, she stated they had already sent someone out there to clear the party because the pool closes at 11:00.

Fifteen minutes later, the sounds of loud conversation and laughing had not died down so my husband called the front desk a second time. The woman advised my husband that they were doing a shift change and that they would remedy the situation as soon as they could. They were working on it. By 11:30, I called the front desk and an extremely unhappy-sounding woman answered the phone. I asked her when they were going to clear the people from the pool area and she stated, in a very stern and frustrated voice, “we told them they could stay if they were quiet, ma’am.” I firmly told the woman, “They are NOT quiet!” She said "We are working on clearing the people from the pool area, ma’am” and I said, “For half an hour?” I advised her that this was unacceptable and that they needed to clear the area or move us to another room. She said they could move us to another room. My husband said that was unacceptable because it was 11:30 at night and we have three weeks’ worth of clothing and food in our room. The point of clearing out the noisy people was to get some sleep. Moving would have taken a while! The whole time, this woman kept referring to me, rather sternly, as MA’AM! I realized I was fighting a losing battle, so I hung up on her. I remembered reading another guest’s review about Room 102. Same complaints about noisy guests. I usually try to give places the benefit of the doubt and experience things for myself. This time I was wrong and should have heeded the other reviewer’s advice.

Shortly after I hung up, we saw a rather robust woman entering the pool area. At that point, all of the guests cleared the area. My guess is that this is the woman who I just hung up on. I’m thinking she is much better suited in a position at the pool during closing, barking at guests to leave than answering the telephone at the front desk. Not a people person . . . at all! Minutes later, a young girl decided to lie down on the basketball court and have a loud cell phone conversation with someone. My husband opened the window and asked her to leave. She did. I told my husband we needed to leave the hotel as soon as possible.

The next morning, after securing a room at another hotel, the front desk called and asked if we were actually checking out that day. I told the VERY nice lady on the phone that we were because we had a terrible night there. She apologized and said they had a care package for us and to stop by the front desk because her supervisor wanted to speak to us. We stopped by the front desk and talked to the supervisor. She apologized for the rude employee the night before and said that she would address the issue with her. Then she said that the employee left a care package for us. The supervisor explained that there wasn’t much they could do about the noisy guests, short of calling the police. I understand that and actually thought about calling the police myself. We looked at the care package and both my husband and I knew that it would be highly uncharacteristic of the "person" we spoke to the night before to make such a sweet gesture. I’m sure the package came from the hotel supervisor as it included some extra Marriott points. It was a very nice gesture, but still doesn't make up for my lack of sleep nor the rudeness of the late-night employee.

All-in-all this would be a decent hotel and it is if you don’t mind or actually love the party scene. Apparently, unless they send the angry night-shift lady out to chase partiers away or call the police, there’s not much the hotel can do for guests who would like a decent night’s sleep.

My advice? Pay attention to some of the bad reviews as history will repeat itself.

Room Tip: Party Hotel. Good for noise lovers!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Hotel stay was awesome, clean room every time. Front desk service was amazing, Ricky started a fan club for me. Nice breakfast in the mornings, as well as options at night on Mon, Tues and Wed. Overall excellent stay, if I travel to the Dallas area again I would definitely stay here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank justin t
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a family weekend and were greeted at checkin by Ricky. He was extremely polite and went above and beyond in making sure our Rewards status perks were maximized! He even gave us a welcome treat as a thank you for our frequent stays at Marriott properties!

Property is clean, and rooms are nice.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Thanks for a great stay of three weeks, everything was as expected. Ricky and Nolan at the reception are nice and kind. Free parking, free Wi-Fi and a nice after noon dinner at a central location in Richardson.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business