“Relaxing breakfast on the gulf”

Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I recently had a wonderful vacation on South Padre Island. A friend recommended I try The Palm for breakfast. Well, as it turns out, the Palm is a local motel on the beach and their restaurant is called Cafe in the Beach. It was a little confusing at first, so if you look for it, look for the Cafe on the Beach. They are well known for their Eggs Benedict, but the entire menu looked delicious. I had the Eggs Benedict and it was very nice. It was a good hollandaise sauce and the eggs were cooked perfectly for the dish.

When I was there, parking was plentiful and easy, but in the height of the season it might be a little more difficult. The restaurant was exactly as advertised...on the beach. With waves crashing in the background and open air seating, I was definitively feeling the beach and feeling the vacation sensation. The prices were reasonable and staff friendly. I recommend this restaurant as a relaxed way to start your day and enjoy the beach vibe.

tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Thank you so much! We hope to welcome you back to our little beachside café in the very near future!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

I have been to The Cafe on the Beach every time I have been to South Padre in the last few years. It is my favorite restaurant in South Padre. I have even driven out to eat here when in Harlingen on business.

There are very few restaurants on the island that even come close. It is fine dining on the beach. Service can be a little slow at times but that is the only issue I have ever had. Enjoy the view and a drink, remember why you are here, and the few times you may wait for food will seem like a plus.

The seared tuna steak is not only my favorite dish here but is on my list of all time favorites with the filet from Ziggie and Mad Dog's in Islamorada and the shellfish fettuccine at Pompeii's Grotto in San Francisco.

In more than a dozen visits over the last few years I have not had anything that wasn't tasty.

The cost is more than a casual dining restaurant but on par with the food they serve. Expect to spend $150-$200 for dinner and drinks for a family of 4. Throw in the view and a laid back atmosphere and I will continue to have at least one meal here every time I am in the area.

The cafe is attached to the Palms Resort which is a great little boutique hotel if you happen to need a room on the island.

tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you so much! I promise we will continue to work hard to remain your favorite place on SPI!!

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

It was a great meal! The waiters were attentive and delightful. The food was delicious. We recommend this establishment to any who visit South Padre

Thank you so much! Come back soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The food was great and you have a nice view of the ocean from the seating area. Staff was lovely and hospitable.
I would not recommend drinking the served tap water (we tried adding a freshly squeezed lemon, but it didn't help), but otherwise it's a quaint place to get a nice bite to eat.

Thank you for your review. I know what you mean about the water. We triple filter the water before serving. We also offer Fiji spring water for sale for those that prefer the taste of bottled water.
I'm so pleased you enjoyed our little Cafe on the Beach! Please come back soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

My wife is not a big fish person. We split the red snapper. It was perfectly grilled and she loved it. I loved it also. Very good drink specials.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed our red snapper. It is one of my favorites too!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor!