“Good for what it is, but not very good”

Athena Greek and American Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 399 Restaurants in Tyler
Cuisines: American, Greek
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I guess when you are pretty much the only game in town, you get to serve average food. And that is what this was. Nothing creative, decor is dated, felt like we were eating in a diner. It did not even rise to the level of a mediocre chain. Sorry, but I'll wait to satisfy my cravings for Greek food for when I am in a more sophisticated dining environment.

1  Thank BLDTraveler

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We were delighted to find a Greek restaurant near our hotel, and since my companion wanted Gyros and Tzatziki that's where we headed as soon as we unpacked.

The food was great, and the portions very generous. The salads were large and crisp. Then came even more generous entrees. Indeed, neither of us could finish our plates, and that wasn't for lack of desire, just lack of room.

Very tasty and very satisfying. If we come back this way, we'll be sure to drop in again.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

We stopped here on the strength of several TA reviews, glad we did. Started off with Avgolemono soup, and salad; which had several kinds of peppers inc a pickled hot pepper; tomato; onions; feta, good mix of lettuces (not all romaine ribs!) Greek Pasta with garlic butter sauce and feta and tomatos; and a lamb gyro plate; with excellant seasoned fries--I am not a fry person, but these were REALLY good; gyro meat was about what I have come to expect; not sure if the "spit roasted" claim is accurate; or maybe the Greeks do it differently than the Israeli ones I am used to; but it is tasty and tender. Served as a platter with the salad and fries and a flat bread pita. Desserts looked good but we had other plans.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

Recently moved to Tyler and was having a hard time finding a restaurant who serves Mediterranean cuisine until I found Athena's. My first time walking in I was put off a little, it's not brightly lit and has a sticky floor (but having been a waitress years ago as a teenager, I would've loved to have had a floor that gripped my shoes), but I've eaten in "greasy spoons" all my life in NY that had wonderful food. I ordered Dolmas & Athena's Combo and fell in love with the restaurant. A week later I brought my husband (who has never had Greek food & wasn't going to start that day), he ordered the fried shrimp and swears it's the best he's ever had since moving to Texas. I make it a point to eat there or get take out at least once a month.

1  Thank Francine C
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Had the gyro as someone else had said it was delicious....I agreed. Then a few hours later was dying internally. The staff was nice and the place looked clean. My guess is taziki sauce kept at the wrong temp or possibly bad meat. I had the hummus too and it could use a bit more garlic, but was good overall.

Been to Athena Greek and American Restaurant? Share your experiences!