“Missed the Mark”

Brazos Bar & Bistro
Ranked #9 of 474 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: American
Description: Contemporary-casual venue in Hotel Indigo offering locally sourced American cuisine plus cocktails
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went here for a final lunch with some family members and found the price to be adequate and suitably. Quite frankly, it is one of the most odd meals I've had at a restaurant.

Seating was quick as you can sit anywhere and you will be served, there was no starter and our waitress was efficient but not extremely welcoming.

The chicken tacos were quite dry and underseasoned and the vegetables at the bottom did not taste particularly fresh, neither did the avocado.

The ribeye exuded a quite copious amount of liquid when I cut into, which I found very odd for steak. Usually steaks are cooked to be dry when cut into but moist on the inside. This particular ribeye missed both criteria, it seemed more on par with something I'd make at home. There was a very poor char on the outside, it wasn't seasoned particularly well, and I asked for medium rare but the end result was more medium leaning towards well done if anything.

The salmon was solid, but a bit too sweet for my liking and the basmati rice with peppers was hard, almost as if they were a day old and reheated. The vegetables were just okay.

The wedge fries as sides for the tacos and ribeye were good, but they were inconsistently cooked. Some of them were fluffy on the interior and soft while others were hard and more akin to eating a baked potato than fries.

The only saving grace was that I felt the price wasn't too steep, otherwise this would've been an even lower ranking. I am unsure if this was just an off day but in general it was a very unexpectedly mediocre meal, particularly given the reviews.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (326)

Reviewed 29 June 2021

Great food, but honestly the prices were higher than I wanted to spend. One night the restaurant was closed due to maintenance....very inconvenient but at least the bar was open until 10 so people could drink. :-)

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 10 June 2021

Restaurant located in lobby of Hotel Indigo with wonderful meal and service. I had the Porcini Chicken which was phenomenal and we went back for breakfast the following morning and also very good.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 26 May 2021

I would have rated the experience "Very Good towards Excellent", but this was a "Value" letdown. Spent $200 for my meal, and when I spend that amount I expect an exceptional experience. Not so much here... My new phone did not have the QR app on it and there were no disposable menus. The bartender was kind enough to loan me his phone (how safe is that?), but I was grateful. There were no bar snacks or nuts, so went to front desk shop to get what they had-cheap bag of peanuts-had to pay for them there, not bar. Ordered the scallops-delicious and perfectly prepared. Then had the house salad, wonderful, but too large as a second course (offer two sizes perhaps?), then had the NY Strip. Taste was great but not the most tender. For a $50+ steak I expect it to be exceptional. Baked potato was good, but under-baked and not steaming hot. When I ordered a red wine, bartender brought a white wine glass. When I asked if he had a red wine glass (I ordered a $20 glass) he said "I have one glass left and it is not very clean". He cleaned it, which took some time. I was looking forward to a second glass of wine with something chocolate for dessert. Nope-nothing chocolate available. Had the Key Lime pie. Was good, but not extraordinary. Would probably return to hotel, but would venture out for a meal next time...

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 19 April 2021

Our server, Michelle, and the whole Brazos staff really made my daughter's bridal shower a wonderful experience. We had eight people at the back high table near the window. The comfy chairs and fresh hydrangea flowers made the table feel special. We started off with a round of Mimosas and Spirit of Summers paired with a cheese board and hummus board. We each ordered off the fantastic menu--the salmon salad, scallops with risotto, and the quesadillas did not disappoint! We had plenty of time to enjoy our shower games, opening gifts, and serving our cake. I highly recommend Brazos Bistro for a special experience.

Date of visit: April 2021