“Chili's Grill & Bar 215 FL-312, St. Augustine, FL 32086 Tainted Food”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene
Reviewed 27 December 2017

Sunday evening 12/24/2017 we attended Christmas Mass in St. Augustine. By the time mass ended we were practically starving because neither of us had eaten since early in the day. We passed a couple of restaurants and decided to have dinner at Chili's.

We were told by the hostess the kitchen was closing and we needed to place our order immediately. We both ordered a 6 ounce steak, mashed potatoes, and a salad. The wait staff was friendly, the food was not too bad, and we were happy to find a restaurant still open. The tab with tip was about $36.00

Fast forward to 3 am Monday morning. I awoke to severe stomach pains which led to vomiting and even less desirable effects of an upset stomach. Early Christmas morning, I called my friend whom I'd had dinner with at Chili's and asked how she felt. She'd had the exact same experience. Being that we hadn't seen each other in three days and had shared only that one meal at Chili's it's fairly clear to me our dinner was tainted in some way. Christmas day was a total loss. I wasn't even able to leave the house.

Tuesday morning I called the Chili's restaurant on 215 FL-312 in St. Augustine and explained the situation to the store manager. She told me she also had had the same steak that evening with no ill effects and then told me about the cleaning products and procedures they use and how it was doubtful anything associated with Chili's could have been the cause of our discomfort. I explained again that Chili's was the common denominator between my friend's and my sickness.

I told the manager all I was asking for was a refund of the sale amount. She informed me that in cases such as this a customer must call the restaurant within one day or a refund cannot be made. I reminded her that the incident happened shortly before closing on Christmas eve and they were closed Christmas day. She explained that those were the rules and there was nothing she could do about it. I asked for a corporate phone number since she was unable to help me. Finally after eight minutes on hold she came back with the number. She offered to start a refund request but when I told her I paid cash she said it was to "labor intensive" to search the receipts. Our's was the last sale on Christmas eve I told her.

So I've gone from asking politely for a refund of $32.00 in the form of a gift card to being just about totally pissed off. We have eaten at Chili's many times and usually been satisfied.

I'm awaiting a call from "corporate".

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

First of all...no one up front! Waited and waited and waited to be seated! Had to go find someone and they weren't even busy! Food is disgusting and wait staff and managers are morons! Don't go if you want a nice evening out...

Reviewed 18 October 2016

I have been to different Chili's before in different locations and service seems to be the issue with this chain. Not this time the service was very good and the food was served in a timely manner. So for a good meal and good service this Chili's is okay.

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Chilis is my favorite chain, and I refuse to go back to the Waco Chili's. They need to get their business together.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

Four friends from college went to the new Chili's on Valley Mills in Waco, to celebrate one of our birthdays. Little did we know we were in for the worst birthday experience of our lives...
They charged us for lemonade refills when they were supposed to be bottomless (according to the menu), their signature steak/shrimp dish was all wrong, two molten chocolate deserts were brought to the table 20 minutes AFTER the waitress brought out the check (with the charge for desserts!), and the manager barely apologized to us for the worst dinner experience we've ever had.
In retrospect, we should have just walked out without paying, we felt completely ripped off.
A week later, I met a friend on campus, and she said "Don't go to the new Chili's on Valley Mills! I just went there for my birthday and it was so bad!"

Been to Chili's Grill & Bar? Share your experiences!