“Diana said”

Vali Ho Motel
Vali Ho Motel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Weslaco
Reviewed 20 April 2013

"There was no breakfast waffles " I say, :if you want waffles then stay at I-Hop. If you want a great place to stay at a very reasonable price stay at Vali- Ho. We 3 guys had a great time. The proprietor's were friendly. The place clean and neat.The location (to Mexico) was as good as you can get. The kitchen was an extra handy asset with a micro range and little refig.

Room Tip: all rooms are on the ground floor. It's a nice looking place too. Fenced in and looks secure
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank icemanpella

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We still love everything about this cozy, a little old fashioned (in a positive way) motel with super friendly staff (see review from Jan. 2010) but now all rooms on the right side have been updated with new fully tiled baths, tile countertops in the kitchen area, fresh paint job throughout the ample bed room. Everything worked well and was clean and fresh. The left row of rooms will be remodeled this year. Food choices in Weslaco are better than ever with Arturo's for Mexican food, Blue Onion for fresh salads and more.
Room rates are very reasonable and the value excellent. Our 4 ladies birding group will always pick this place as our first choice in Weslaco.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pehoc
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Spacious rooms with very comfortable beds. I had a great night's sleep for my stay here for 3 days. The view from my room was filled with palm trees and a sparkling pool that called my name. The customer service very good and the staff goes out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. The young receptionist greeted me every time I walked in the hotel and always had a smile on her face. For the price I paid, you can't beat the value along with the view. I will definitely come back Vali Ho next month.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Have visited this hotel twice and would return. I thought I submitted a review after June 2011 trip; will rectify that now! Stayed here for 5 nights in June 2011 and June 2012, during mission trips to Rio Grande Valley. It may be old, but there have been updates, and it has reliable air conditioning, WIFI, and a decent location. It's inexpensive and seems to be safe. Pool was clean in June 2011, but murky in 2012. Our group had more than a dozen rooms, so I saw a variety. Older rooms near front are smaller, with lower ceilings and some brick interior walls, looked fine. All have small refrigerators.
Rooms toward back are newer, larger, with higher ceilings, and inexplicably small bathrooms. There is nice, open wire shelving in these rooms, but WIFI reception is not as good as it is rooms toward the front. We mentioned it last year and this seems to have improved since 2011.
The family running the hotel and living there do not own it, but they seem to care about it, were nice and helpful. We always left too early to have breakfast and there was seldom coffee.
Birds:
Funny that another reviewer complained of "ducks in the pool." They were probably Black-bellied Whistling-ducks, common in the area and very attractive. There are nesting Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in the palms around the pool as well - an excellent species! Also Euro. Starlings in some of the WP holes. Around the property you will find other Valley specialty birds - interesting doves, thrashers, ibis. Many species also fly overhead. Be sure to visit the plant nursery next door (west). It looks overgrown, but has some great birds along the trails - resident Plain Chachalacas, various yellow-bellied kingbirds,hummingbirds, etc. check ebird.org for Hidalgo County bird lists.
It's a very short drive to Estero Llano State Park - just a few miles south of hotel.
I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the property are larger with higher ceilings.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank autrevie
Reviewed 23 April 2012

What's wrong with you people and your reviews?? I read them and thought it sounded like a nice place to stay. I must say this was the worst motel I've been in in years. There was no breakfast waffles that were bragged about, unless the front office was notified ahead of time. If you are a motel and advertise a breakfast, how about providing one. The office was not air condiditoned or they chose to not have it on and our room was sweltering when we got there. The motel knew what time we would arrive and didn't even turn on the air conditioner. The beds were hideous! I spent the first night clutched to it trying to not fall in the floor due to the sides being all worn out and smashed down. My mother spend her night in a hole in the middle of the mattress and my father ended up on a twin bed in the corner. This place was awful, even had ducks in the swimming pool. There is a very nice place called Weslaco Inn down the street for a little bit more money. New beds and breakfast! I'm there next time!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family