“Crab for the Birthday Boy - and Me”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Crab Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 245 Restaurants in Sandy
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 15 August 2016

On Wednesday evening, July 27, 2016, my wife and I joined my son and his wife at Joe’s Crab Shack to celebrate his birthday.
Joe’s was having their special on Queen Crab on Wednesday evenings, so my son ordered that. I had narrowed down my choices to two or three ideas and finally decided to have the Queen Crab, too. I don’t usually go for crab, but this time, I did. Between the two of us, we polished off 19 buckets of Queen Crab, the first two buckets included potatoes and a cob of corn. The other 17 buckets had just crab legs in them. I’m just glad that it was all one price on their special, and I’m pretty sure we got our money’s worth.
Since our waitress knew my wife’s daughter from when she worked there for a while last year, she requested to serve our table and was quite attentive for the most part. She put in orders for more crab at about the right speed until near the end when we wanted to slow down. Somehow, the signals were mixed between her, another server, and the cooks. When my son and daughter-in-law had to leave to get some rest for the next day’s work, I still had two or three buckets of crab legs lined up waiting for me to get to them. I did manage to finish them all. My wife was patient and our waitress stayed until we were done. I thought I tipped her pretty well, but my wife added some cash before we hugged our waitress and left. Joe’s had tried going to no tipping for a while, but they brought it back and wait staff are evidently happy they did.
Do you like crab? How about lobster?
Since Joe’s is my son’s favorite for a birthday dinner, we usually go there at least once a year. The bit of competition between my son and me was an added bonus to this visit over dinner. Since I take too long to crack and eat the crab, I’ll probably go for something simpler next time, as I usually have in the past.
When you are near downtown Sandy and want to get your seafood on, eat at Joe’s!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

Terrible fried food. All the items were subpar. Will never go back. Service and environment were ok. But the food itself was just horrible.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

I'm from the West Coast, so my expectations weren't particularly high for a seafood restaurant so far away from the ocean, but I found myself pleasantly surprised! The Crab Cake Sandwich was super tasty, as were the coconut shrimp (which my mom had), and we shared a delicious "Sea Turtle Sundae" for dessert. We ended up eating here twice (as we were at the Megaplex Theatre right across the street for FilmQuest) and both times we had friendly service.

1  Thank Emily K
Reviewed 4 April 2016

We had high hopes for this restaurant byt were not very impressed. Staff were friendly but we found the seafood bland, watery without much taste. The seafood bucket was very disappointing with average quality seafood and high prices. We will not return.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Ate here with my son after the car show. Being in Utah it is nothing like eating at ones in the south with the wrap around porch and sand play ground for the kids.
Food was really good. Staff was excellent and to my surprise this is a no tip restaurant. I would rather pay a little more for the food then have to worry about tipping.