“Great food”
Review of Gillies Restaurant - CLOSED

Gillies Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I chose this restaurant based on Tripadvisor reviews. It was great! I had the lobster bisque and lobster bites. The lobster bisque was very good, but the lobster bites were excellent. For $10, it's on the appetizer menu and is more lobster than you'd get if you ordered one at market price. It does come fried, but it was easy enough to knock off the breading. The girl next to me ordered the fish and chips (only $7 on the early bird menu) which were generously portioned and she said were great. The staff was very friendly and Betty (maybe Betsy?) was super friendly behind the bar. Obviously this place has a lot of repeat business, which says a lot about the quality (several people walked in and were greeted by name and lots of questions ranging from how are the kids to how is your mom, etc.). The atmosphere is the only thing lacking. The only word I have for it...I'm sad to say...is tacky. They have tacky sea decorations hanging everywhere, printed paper pictures TAPED on mirrors, an Elvis stand up stapled to the wall, beta fish sitting on the bar (yes, alive)....so, although it's an awesome restaurant, it's definitely not romantic. So, would I got back? ABSOLUTELY. Would I want to go there on a date....no.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Like most good seafood restaurants I've tried, Gillies' decor is really bland, but the menu is terrific. My husband had the cioppino and thought it was as good as he's had in Marseilles and other Mediterranean ports. I ordered seafood Alfredo and it had tons of shrimp and scallops in a sinfully rich cream sauce. Very satisfying. This restaurant also has something you can't find in a lot of seafood places -- a good selection of well-prepared vegetables. The waitress was extra helpful and the owner (I think) came by to say "Hi" and make sure we were happy. We certainly were.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We have been to Gillies at least 6 times over the last four months and have sampled many items from the menu; soups,
clams, mussels, calamari, swordfish, sea bass, to name a few dishes.
The food is ALWAYS fresh and properly seasoned, we have never been anything but completely satisfied with our meals.
The staff is friendly, welcoming, and there is pleasant conversation at the bar.
They also have a fish market on the premises if you're in the mood to cook at home.
Gillies has become one of our favorite places for seafood.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Food was excellent. My wife order a shrimp basket, and only received 7 shrimp and fries for $13.99 but no cole slaw. The Shrimp was of good size and I thought the value was a good price. I had ordered the fisherman combo platter I had the option of ordering two or three items I choose three, whole belly clams, oyster and shrimp.My order was $23.99. my order came with french fries and cole slaw. My order was so plentiful that I had to take half of it home. The parking lot was dark and was not lit at all. Inside the structure would be ideal for a Mediterranean menu

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Food was delicious, staff very friendly. Great casual place, held wedding reheasal dinner here. Alot of fun.