“5 star food!”

Heritage Deli & Bakery
Ranked #9 of 23 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 5 January 2017

I attended this establishment with a local Vermonter Dec. 23, 2016. The ordering area of Heritage was decorated beautifully. The menus were on chalkboards--with new, tasty specials everyday. Since all entrees and bakery items are freshly cooked from local farms every day, the day old baked goods are a true bargain. The gingerbread cookies and offerings boast actual ginger root and are tangy and mouthwatering.
For a lunch entree, I ordered an enchilada with refried beans, local cheeses, black olives and vegetables(spinach, lettuce). The enchilada shell was a gluten free freshly made flour tortilla--truly outstanding. It was garnished with a huge salad of local carrots, lettuces, and greens, with a choice of dressing. The portion was so plentiful that I took part home to finish the next day. Other special included a divine hummus wrap, freshly baked quiche and a Ruben sandwich with fresh cheese, sauerkraut, and pastrami.
The desserts are a taste extravaganza--the lemon bars are multi-layered taste experiences and the special of peppermint brownies were delightful.
There is NO table service---you bus your own dishes. Your entrees are brought to you by the staff, who will also supply anything you desire---drinks, condiments, etc..
The dining area is inviting and spacious. The ordering/waiting area sells local original sauces and relishes. The chef is to be praised.
The service tries to be efficient---there is never a long wait for orders, it seems.

Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

We were referred from the Vermont country store to visit for lunch. We stopped in and we were amazed at the size of the menu of sandwiches. We decided to get 1/2 sandwich and soup. My husband got a turkey type sand with stuffing and cranberry sauce and he thought it was going to be warm sandwich. But it tasted okay. I had 1/2 chicken sandwich and soup also. The only problem was the soup. I got beef vegetable and it was full of sundried tomatoes and not very many other veggies. And both of our soups were greasy. The taste was bad I couldn't eat it. The meal cost almost 28 for sandwiches for three of us. My daughter got grilled cheese which was good.

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

This is a VT version of a deli and bakery. They have a full range of sandwiches and prepared foods and bakery items. There is an eat in area as well as a deli counter.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

At least a dozen sandwiches named for a famous person, all on fresh baked bread! It was tough to choose but we all made a great choice!

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

We recently visited this deli for lunch and while the food was "passable" I could not recommend it. I will give credit to the person who waited on us - very nice and helpful - my wife had a blend of tuna salad and chicken salad which was alright according to her but the bread it was served on was a very bad choice by the restaurant. A hard roll which meant every time you squeezed it to take a bite the salad rolled out the sides. I had the exact frustration with the "willy" steak sandwich only I could not recommend it. Very mediocre. To put it mildly, we were craving a good meal for dinner with no risk that evening!!