“Perfectly Prepared Chop and Burger”
Review of The Free Range

The Free Range
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2015 via mobile

Grass fed burgers and the pork chops were so perfectly prepared it was amazing. Was our first time here but we'll find a reason to be back. Thanks for a great experience! Ambiance is warm and inviting and just right. Server was delightful.

Reviewed 26 August 2015

This was a fabulous find in Chester. From the greeting at the door to the server, everyone was friendly and engaging! The menu has something for everyone, The stuffed portabella mushroom appetizer was large enough for two to share. Main courses were well presented and reasonably priced. The server stopped by multiple times to make sure all was well and the owner did the same after dinner. The restaurant filled up quickly and was quite lively on a Sunday night!

Reviewed 24 August 2015

First of all, Chester, Vermont is worth an excursion off I-91 for its charming architecture and delightful shops along a classic New England commons. But even if it didn't warrant an overnight stay, dinner at The Free Range shouldn't be missed. Located in one of the Victorian homes along the commons, it's a few steps from B& Bs and shops. The owners are welcoming and friendly without being intrusive and go the extra mile with small, thoughtful courtesies. They clearly love their restaurant and their interactions with guests. The food is wonderful--fresh, seasonal, mostly locally/regionally sourced, beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list is carefully selected and my server was knowledgeable about pairings. I started with steamed mussels in a light cream and pernod sauce that wowed this mussel-lover--lovely blend of flavors, fresh plump mussels. The dishes that followed were equally wonderful. A dining experience not usually found outside of urban areas--with a relaxed elegance and at half the price for this quality food in a big city. I left feeling just simply--happy. Will surely make my way back again.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Went to this restaurant for the first time to meet with family members. I can't say enough good about it! We all had burgers and everyone was over the top happy with what they got. I had the Free Range Burger with cheddar cheese, bacon, avocado and lettuce (hold the tomato and onion for me). It was cooked to my specs...to perfection and I hate to say I ate very single bit of it! The fries are wonderful too. Since we were so full after the burgers we only got one "Happy Camper" dessert to split. If you love chocolate or smors you NEED to try this one! There were 7 of us. We cut it up into 8 wedges and all sampled. It was to die for! In addition, our waitress was just about the sweetest thing ever and so attentive. She made our visit the best experience. We expected to have a good time visiting but this was the making of a great memory due to the excellent service and food! Never change Free Range. We LOVE you!

Reviewed 21 August 2015 via mobile

Chester needed this restaurant. Quality comfort food, served in a pleasant location, served by a friendly staff, with owners who are committed to serving the community.