“Cozy charm with delicious food”

Little Rooster Cafe
Ranked #10 of 62 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 30 April 2016

The Little Rooster Cafe is adorable. Filled with that cozy farmhouse kitsch, decent service and tasty food, my family and I were pleased with the overall experience.

This cafe does NOT take reservations, so we were happy to catch a small lull in the lunch service as we pulled into the parking lot with a car full of hungry adults and children. We were a bit disappointed to find that they were no longer serving breakfast and wouldn't bend the rules and make my youngest an egg despite the fact that we arrived on the cusp of breakfast and lunch service. The menu was small, but there were so many options that appealed to us that it was hard to choose. I ordered the sandwich with the cheese, apples, ham, I believe it was called the Ethan Allen, and it truly made my mouth happy after a long drive. It was not overly large, the meat to cheese to fruit to bread ratio was pleasing. My husband was happy with his Thanksgiving-like meal on a turkey sandwich. My youngest had one of the specials that contained prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, artichoke hearts, and a pesto aoli in a panini, which was delicious. My middle son had a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon. This sandwich was slightly disappointing as the cheddar cheese didn't taste like much and there was barely any cheese or bacon. My oldest son ordered a steak sandwich, which arrived with thick pieces of steak in it. The sandwich was not pleasing to look at and the steak was a bit cumbersome for the bread, but it had a decent flavor. The service was about what you'd expect for a busy little cafe. The waitress had a rather brusque manner and informed us that "we only take cash" when we walked in the door, but other than that it was a nice experience and we enjoyed the food. To wit, I shall say bring CASH a they do not take credit cards.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

We met up with old friends who were visiting the area; CASH or CHECK only, fyi. Fast, courteous service but to-the-point. Plenty of offerings for a big breakfast and cozy enough of a place for visiting over a meal. A step above diner food and clean, (for me, the cleanliness of a bathroom is just as important as the rest of an eatery). Not greasy which is so eeewww. We'll stop in again when in the area. Cost of breakfast for 4 w/ juice, tea, coffee was $60 incl tax plus tip. Average breakfast meal $8-$10. Plenty of parking to the side of the bldg.

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Best breakfast in town, especially their corned beef hash. LR's breakkies not swimming in grease, as is the other well known breakfast place upstairs in town....

Reviewed 22 March 2016

The Rooster is a regular stop on our visits to Manchester. We have only been there for breakfast, so I have zero experience with their lunch menu items. The food is good, and the place is very small but very clean. The waitresses are very pleasant. Prices are on par with the rest of the dining establishments in the area.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

We had a terrific lunch yesterday. I especially liked my lobster roll. It was not your typical lobster, mayonnaise, celery affair. It was all claws sauteed in butter on a buttered roll. and it was amazing. Plus the Little Rooster is probably the only place in Vermont where you can get an egg cream!!! You just have to ask them to hold the ice. PB