US$75
US$58
The Vermont Inn(Mendon)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsescargotcarriage housean appetizerget awayamazing foodrave reviewshidden gemwine pairingliving roomdining experienceduckdining roomsmountain topperfect weekendking bedthe main houseeach morning
Reviewed 8 September 2017

The Red Clover Inn has been a delight under several owners in the past, and the current owners have carried on the tradition of this beautiful first class Inn. The rooms are very nice in the Vermont tradition, quaint and comfortable, but the best is to be found down in the dining room. Meals are fantastic - worth the stay just for that. The staff are excellent and make your stay enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne179
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had a wonderful visit at this B&B located in the middle of splendor. We couldn't have asked for more. Their Restaurant served a magnificent dinner with a very entertaining jazz quartet. The rooms were comfortable and quaint having everything we needed. And breakfast couldn't have been better. Just everything, everything was perfect!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We were so happy to find this cozy inn during our family trip to VT. We had planned some rock climbing nearby in Rutland and wanted to stay somewhere that represented VT. We found it here. The rooms are lovely and the staff is incredibly friendly. Breakfast was delicious and the cookies in the afternoon were very welcome. My kids appreciated the games in the living room as well.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I have been visiting this part of Vermont for over 50 years, but just had the good fortune to stumble into The Red Clover Inn. We gathered for a reunion of our F&W camp cabin from 50 years ago, and met for dinner. I had an excellent cocktail at the small but well appointed bar. Some of guests, stuck in traffic, were late, but the restaurant staff could not have been more gracious in accommodating our late dinner start. The food and service was excellent, and we stayed late in to the night.

I had the pleasure of an automatic upgrade in my room, which was beautifully painted, very clean, and very quiet. The bed was also very comfortable and the shower was really good.

The breakfast was excellent, hearty, and included a pastry for starters that went well with the good coffee.

The staff were all incredibly friendly. I will definitely stay there again and would recommend this Inn for family or other important life events. They know what they are doing!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2017

We booked at the Red Clover based on reviews on TA. This is one of the few times we were disappointed with TA reviews. We booked the ground room at the carriage house which had a king bed. We were greeted at the front desk in what I can only describe as ‘curtly’. I wondered if the gentleman was hired to stand in for the owners while they were out of town. It was if he had no interest in our stay or arrival at all. He showed us to our room, advised of the time breakfast was served, cautioned us to ‘mind the step up to the bathroom’, and took his leave. We were surprised to find the dry rot around the front door and on the building upon entering our room. The king bed was comfortable and had high quality linens. There was a small closet by the front door, a gas or electric fireplace which we didn’t use, a large sofa (sofa bed?) in one corner, a TV in a closed cabinet hanging over the sofa, two nightstands with drawers. No desk, no chairs.
The bathroom held a single sink with hairline cracks, a broken outlet by the sink, a tub/shower combo with fiberglass surround in need of re-caulking, low to the floor toilet that ‘thumped’ loudly at the end of filling, minimal space for toiletries on the counter.
Breakfast was absolutely delicious and I am sure we would have enjoyed dining at the restaurant if it had been open on the Tues. and Wed. nights we stayed. (The restaurant is open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday..maybe Monday?).
Our issues were:
-No black out curtains or blinds. The sun rose at 5:30 a.m. and the light poured in the room.
-The A/C worked only on the blower/fan in spite of the 80+ daytime temperatures. The knob came off in my hand on the first two or three tries to turn it to high/cool. There were no ceiling fans to help cool the room but the windows did open. By 1 or 2 a.m., the room had cooled to a comfortable sleeping temperature.
-No phones.
-No mini-fridge.
-No coffeemaker. (Although coffee was available in the Main House after 7 AM.)
-Poor lighting: there were a total of three lamps in the room, none were bright enough to read by.
-Bathroom outlet did not work, requiring us to use a bedroom outlet (no mirror) for the hair dryer and shaver. The outlet we had to use was ‘loose’ so the plug kept falling out.
-Access to the TV was behind a latched corner cabinet sitting above the sofa. You either had to move the sofa to open and access the TV or climb on the couch to do so.
-The fiberglass surround for the shower was coming loose in several places. The shower/tub floor was slippery without any type of grab bar or shower mat.
-The fireplace mantel extended out about 8 inches from the wall. The only outlet available to charging phones, etc. was behind the couch requiring an awkward and narrow reach to plug in the phone. On my first attempt, I smacked my eye on the pointed corner of the fireplace mantel. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper!
-In our travels, from the southern border of Vermont to within 10 miles of the Canadian Border, we stayed at B & B’s that were all rated 5 on TA. The Red Clover was, by far, the MOST expensive with, in our opinion, the fewest amenities and the lowest quality.

Room Tip: NOT the Carriage House King!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple