“Quite the delight but a pricey night”
Review of The Belfry

The Belfry
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My first visit, brought by a friend who'd been here many times before. I have to say that if you're not from New England and are looking for something rather stereotypical "New England", the Belfry is the place to go. The drive to, alone, will put a smile on your face, climbing up the mountain like a great explorer of far away New England places. And there's really a very nice view from the parking area too! Inside... rustic, quaint, VERY pleasant décor (wood, wood, and more wood), comfy, cozy, and did I mention "rustic"? Indeed. It wasn't "crowded" (on an Autumn evening) but there was a great crowd at the booths, tables and the bar. It reminds me of the old country bars of my younger years: locals hanging together for drinks at the bar, and families out for a night of relaxation and dinner together. Over all, it was pleasant, indeed. I was just a bit taken by the prices which I found to be geared more toward the "touristy" side. Just a tad touch too high for the "average Vermonter" and not really in line with the general "homey New England" atmosphere. But the beef was quite good, all told. The maple cream pie was super! I'm not a great fan of maple but the taste and texture were really wonderful! (I had A slice... I could have made a whole pie the whole meal... and as I say, I'm not a "maple kinda folk".) Cocktails were, well, I'll be polite and simply say that one could have about 6 (or even 12) and still operate a motor vehicle with-out ever having to worry about a "sobriety stop". We didn't go to get pickled, but cocktails are cocktails, water is water, and it's impolite to charge cocktail prices for glasses of "flavoured" water. Would I go back? Oh yes. "Tiffany" was really great. She was more like a relative who expected us for dinner. Instant "comfy". That's really rare these days when, in all too many places, the attitude of wait-staff tends more toward "Why are you bothering me? I was trying to take another break! Oh, yeah, hello anyway." Not Tiffany. Seriously, as I say, she was like the good family folks. She's what tipped my rating over "average". Yes, I look forward to another visit one of these days and yes, it IS worth the trip, especially for you readers who come to Vermont looking for those little places you'd expect to find in Vermont. (So don't deny yourself the experience. You'll be sorry if you miss out.)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wing Commander flew for many years to Jay Peak for biggest snow in the east. Belfry was always a treat and still is. A night our for dinner is an 860 Kilometre drive. It’s good fortune to have a second home in the Eastern Townships.
... and les voisins amical pour un repas a Le Beffroi.
Belfry rings the bell on steak, fish and if you like it blackened ... yum yum yum.
Tiffany ran our bell for service. Direct, gracious and informative. One of the best lines on facilitating ‘my’ serving night.
“Specials? Take a look out front. Better take a picture.”
Right on, Tiffany.
And write on our specific table needs at your beautiful back mountain off road great ...
If there is time. Ask the lady about beer. A barley sommelier ...
Q-Trip: Order refreshments WITH blue cheese appetizer.
Q-Trip: Along the border of Quebec and NEK:
My top four stops are Les Quatres Saisons at Orford,
Le Coop du Bois at St. Etienne, Parker Pie
and The Belfry in Vermont.
Take home? Curries in Glover for
home ground bacon sausage!
Raw milk cheddar from Newport Market.
Q-Trip: Fall in the NEK is #1 peek. Check out my
Lake Willoughby tour. #1 ...

1  Thank LorenzoelJefe
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

This maple cream pie is among the top deserts in the world. The maple chicken wings are also fantastic.

Do not get the Jay Peak Burger....unless you are being chased by a horde of Vampires. The garlic is insane.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We’ve been coming here regularly for many years. It’s a great place! They have a wonderful menu with many options (pork, chicken, beef, seafood) and price ranges to choose from. They also have a full service bar and in the warmer months an outdoor deck for additional seating. My personal favorite is the maple pork chop which is made with real Vermont Maple syrup. For desert, make sure you have the maple bread pudding, you won’t be disappointed.
Often we will come here for a burger and a couple of drinks and it’s the perfect place for that as well!

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

At a recent stay in Montgomery Center we found the Belfry to have the best food for a reasonable price in town. We ate there twice because there aren't a lot of choices in the area. Great food both times.