All reviews get away pat allergies puppy hostess gps lake canada lodging
Reviewed 1 October 2017

we arrived to Newport in the afternoon without a reservation and GPS gave us a few suggestions , Water Edge was our first pick and thank goodness, Pat , the owner , had a room available for two nights ! It was our lucky day, the location is perfect, right on the water, across the lake you can see Canada, only a few minutes to the center of the town with its shops, restaurants and stores.
We are big animal lovers and there was the loveliest 1 year old St. Bernard puppy to to play with and take for a walk around the neighborhood, we were told there was a cat, but we didn't see him at all, seems like he only comes at night to eat. I think people with severe allergies should find a different lodging, but someone who has very mild allergies like me, will have no problem. Breakfast was good. Room was gorgeous with the huge deck overlooking the water . Bed was very comfortable!
If we are ever again in the area, we will for sure stay there again.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We were there a few weeks ago for one night. I bought the night site-unseen. As the reviewer "Mntbound" noted, the place ... well, I want to be polite ... smelled overpoweringly of dog. Alas, the oldest one was in the last days of bone cancer, reported the owner of the dog and the inn, and was stumbling around with a coat that looked like the poor thing ought to have been released from her pain some time ago. I'm a dog person and I have euthanized my two previous Malamutes when their time had come. This poor dog's time had passed and I grieved with the owner for the pain she was in, knowing that although it could have been only partly alleviated by euthanasia, the new pain of the loss would be with her forever. That's a long way of saying perhaps she might get more repeaters if she were able to hire a thorough cleaning service. None of this is meant personally, and I do wish her well. But I would urge her to consider a massive cleaning renovation. Upstairs all I smelled all night was illness and dog. And I'm sorry that it was like that.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 10 September 2016

This B&B is in a cool location on the lake. The host is a wonderful lady. There are a few things that need to be improved. I will start by saying we are dog people, we have always had dogs. We inquired about pets and were told about the dogs but not the cat that hangs around. Being allergic to cats I would have chosen a different place to stay. There was a lot of dog hair on the main floor. They have a puppy (5 month St. Bernard) that kept jumping on my seven year old. She is never afraid of dogs but this one freaked her out. The owner did not get the hints by the reactions and I got the puppy outside so we could eat breakfast in peace. The other dog is well over a hundred pounds, was dirty and shedding. She kept rubbing up against us for attention. It got old pushing the dog away and getting mud on our clothes. It needs to be better groomed if its going to hang around the customers all the time. The place smelled like dog. I don't want to sound mean but I think the owner is a bit overwhelmed by the cleaning and needs help to keep up to keep it clean. I also think if you have big dogs like this they need to be well trained so they don't detract from the visit. We left as quick as we could in the morning.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Mntbound
Reviewed 22 August 2016

Water’s Edge is an agreeable B & B on the shores of Lake Memphremagog, a couple of miles from downtown Newport. There’s an interesting eclectic décor reflecting the owner’s extensive travels, from New Zealand to Brazil to Israel. We stayed in a suite, quite roomy although the double bed was on the small side. Ample filling breakfasts; we particularly liked the blueberry-stuffed French toast. We’d recommend it, but with two caveats. First, the summers in Northern Vermont can be surprisingly warm and humid, and there’s no air-conditioning. Second, the owner has two beautiful but extremely friendly and exuberant St. Bernards as well as a cat. Waters Edge is not for the pet-avoidant or pet-allergic.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

We spent one night at this house aug. 17th 2016 for my birthday and the owner (Patricia) is the warmest lady you could come across in your life. She makes you feel like her house is yours. We had enlighting discussion over breakfast and she makes a mean banana cake..Peaceful and relaxing place to rest with amazing view of the lake.