“Rustic gourmet”

Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Gleanery is a restaurant in the heart of Putney, Vermont. With a primary focus on utilizing ingredients available to us through a strong network of local farmers and producers, we serve thoughtfully sourced, creatively prepared food.
Reviewed 2 August 2016

As a vegetarian only in town for one night, I decided to treat myself to the Gleanery, and I was not disappointed. Even the summer salad was special, as was the maple bourbon creme brulee. The chard gnocchi itself was a little bland, but the corn creme and arugula on it were amazing, and the novelty of the dish made it worthwhile. Helpful, friendly staff.

3  Thank Phillypeople

Reviewed 30 July 2016

This used to be a restaurant of choice in Putney but no longer. Our recent visit was simply awful. Long wait for food and drinks. Wait staff with no knowledge of the menu. When finally delivered the food went to the wrong people. Even though we told our waiter the we had a curtain to meet the food arrived late and we missed the curtain.

1  Thank DarienDiner
Gleanery, Manager at The Gleanery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Dear DarienDiner:
I am sorry to hear that you were so dissapointed with your last visit. We have gone through some staffing changes recently and are trying to regroup. We do our best (EVERY day) to run a mission driven restaurant and stick to our guns philosophically, which makes for a LOT of behind the scenes challenges, on top of the many challenges of running a small business in general.
It is a tough industry and a struggling town economy. Again, I am sorry for your disappointment. Hopefully writing your review helped mitigate your feelings.
Best,
Liz

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Takes FOREVER for really dull food. The only plus is that is a "nice" restaurant in Putney. Bring your own drinks.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

From the moment you walk in, you are greeted with a warm and welcoming vibe. The restaurant has a rustic elegance that is not easily achieved. Our server for the evening was Cory. Cory is friendly, enthusiastic and bubbly. She handled my- what must have seemed to her to be like 100 questions about a raspberry cheesecake, with grace and good humor. Turns out, as Nate the restaurant's Chef had suggested it might be- was indeed the best cheesecake I have ever had. The earlier part of the meal was perfect. Delicious freshly baked and sliced bread served with a scallion and herb butter. Butter- so fresh it tasted like it was churned that morning. Absolutely delicious Korean-style chicken wings that I truly could have devoured another serving or 2 and a tender and amazing hanger steak. I barely had room for dessert but felt inclined after I grilled young Cory about the cheesecake. We had a great conversation with the owner of the Gleanery- Liz. She has an interesting story and a great personality. Her dedication to the restaurant and serving outstanding sustainable meals is really an inspiration. We decided we wanted to become part of it all and joined the CSR. Look them up to see more info and run for a yummy dinner.

2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 5 July 2016

A lovely place for an evening meal. Friendly servers who will happily explain all about the food, from how it's prepared to where the ingredients come from. A special place worth going out of your way to have a lovely dinner.

1  Thank MacRutchik

Been to The Gleanery? Share your experiences!