“Happy to have an elegant veggie option.”
Review of Cardamom

Cardamom
Ranked #330 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed 9 May 2017

I took a friend to lunch here for her birthday. Had heard about it, but it was far more elegant and shibui than I'd expected. It was an early lunch on a weekday, so was quiet. We shared some appetizers and enjoyed our main dishes.

Ordered wine, but pretty stingy pours.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

First an advice- avoid busy weekend nights: service and quality of food takes a backseat with too many patrons. I too noticed a lot of oil in my spaghetti dish as well as mushroom dumplings. Perhaps if the chef could cut down on the oil, this would be a terrific place for vegetarians to hang out. Lu-mei, are you listening?

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Great environment, fair price and good food. It's at downtown mall inside a gallery, a little hiden. The dumplings are awesome and the tofu ball dishe is very tastefull. The eggplant dish has a very strong sweet flavor, so it is one of those dishes that either you love or you hate. Overall, I recommend.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

I was happy to see a strictly vegetarian restaurant open in Charlottesville. Maybe I caught Cardamom on the wrong day, but judging from the unimaginative menu, I think what you see is what you get: deep bowls filled with bland food that's oily and has too much commercial, bottled drizzle on it. For the record, I like tofu and well prepared vegetables, but not when they're fried and greasy. It could be that this is a personal aversion to the style of cooking offered here, but without a street presence (it's inside a large building) and the unimaginative menu, Cardamom has to offer something more.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

I was happy to see a new vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Charlottesville, a niche that's lacking. Cardamom may be such a place, but the food may not be worth the wait. The menu is limited, the location out of the way (even though it is downtown), and the food is at best ordinary -- unless you buy into the the idea that tofu is more exciting if you fry it in greasy and unimaginative ways. What the menu lacks in imagination it makes up in oil and drizzle.