“Exquisite Food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I love Indian food of all types, and I try to eat it wherever I go. This restaurant's food was just lovely. Depth in seasonings, extra attention to detail. Oh, my. As well, the restaurant environment was lovely. There were fireplaces, crisp white tablecloths, and flattering lighting. The staff was attentive and adept.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

The gracious staff and inviting atmosphere are the perfect complement to the delicious food served at the restaurant. It is one of the best Indian restaurants I have visited. Unfortunately it is closing at the end of the month. We will have to travel to Richmond to visit its other office. So sad!

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Very comfy, warm atmosphere. Uncluttered. Wooden oak floors. We were seated in front of a working 2-sided fireplace. Very clean, nicely decorated. Lots of menu choices. Food was very good, but expensive for the quantity. $16 each for chicken dishes served in an individual au gratin dishes with separate plate of rice with not enough for leftovers. No salad, no pre-dinner crackers on table. That’s a lot of money for what one got. I would not discourage anyone from going to this restaurant because it was very good and wonderful atmosphere. Just more than we are willing to pay for what we got.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We like Indian food. It's a recent revelation to is so we've had fun trying the various restaurants and I'd say Royal is one of the best. I don't understand the few negative reviews and am sorry they didn't have the same quality service, atmosphere and food we did. My family went there for a late buffet lunch and it was wonderful. The outside of the restaurant is deceiving because it's, well...rather bland but when you walk in there are 3 fireplaces going, soft lighting, great aroma's and friendly service. The food was beyond compare, plenty of it and fresh. We'll be going back - soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2017

I was heartbroken when Savour Restaurant closed and not at all excited when Royal Indian opened in its place. I wasn't a fan of Indian food - but I am now!

My daughter and son-in-law introduced our family to Royal Indian and it's become a favorite place to celebrate birthdays and other occasions. What won me over? Well, it helped that there were enough of us to try a variety of dishes that I'd never had. The service is good though occasionally we have to ask twice for a drink refill or more naan. The servers are pleasant and helpful in answering any questions we have about a dish.

The interior of the restaurant looks largely the way it did when Savour was there, with the addition of some lovely Indian touches. It's quiet enough to have a conversation even at a large table. There's a seating area/alcove in the back that is perfect for a group.

As for the food - scrumptious! The basmati rice that accompanies the entrées has some bits of star anise which adds a subtle extra flavor. The naan is an addicting balance between puffy and chewy. Any entrée can be prepared vegetarian or with a choice of protein (lamb, chicken, shrimp, goat, beef) and can be ordered to the degree of heat that you prefer. Even without hot peppers, the dishes have a lot of flavor due to the many spices used. Some of our favorite dishes are the Rogan Josh, Tikka Masala, and Korma.