“Cville's favorite Chinese restaurant for good reason”

Ming Dynasty Restaurant
Ranked #253 of 595 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 20 February 2016

Even though we live 20 minutes away from Ming Dynasty, and there are two Chinese restaurant within 5 minutes of our house, we always go to Ming, usually for take-out. (We also used to go to Dragon Lady, but the owner closed it after being burned out from working 90+ hours a week!)

Ming is consistently good, and they didn't miss a beat when changing ownership (the original owner sold the recipes to the new owner, which we loyal customers thank her for!). Everything we get is really good -- lo mein, mei fun, fried rice, kung pao chicken or general tso's, happy family, won ton and egg drop soup, egg rolls, etc. The teriyaki beef sticks are tangy and a little weird, but the quality of the beef is really good. My husband and two of my sons like their food really spicy, but they never get it quite as spicy as they ask for (I don't think they believe us when we say, "No, really. Super spicy!"

They're one of the few places with brown rice, and they ALWAYS get our order right (except for the super spicy request). I am severely allergic to red pepper and they've never accidentally made mine spicy too. The ingredients are always fresh, which is amazing...I've been eating there for over 15 years and have never had reason to complain. I used to live 5 minutes away and ordered all the time.

For you vegetarians, they also have one of the largest vegetarian menus of any restaurant in Cville, regardless of cuisine. My friends who eat tofu love it there.

It's usually pretty quiet if you eat inside the restaurant, but don't take that as a bad sign. The food is much better than other Chinese restaurants here and the prices are pretty much the same. If you place a large take-out order, you might wait a bit, but it's all cooked to order...it's worth the wait.

Reviewed 27 November 2015

Ming Dynasty is a great place for Asian food. The exterior might leave you wondering, as it is not appealing externally. Inside, it is open and clean. There is abundant choice on the menu, including vegetarian options. The pricing is very reasonable. The food was very good. My companion didn't care for her spring roll (fried, too greasy), and the vegetarian dumplings were not very flavorful. The scallion bubble pancakes likewise were a tad greasy, but still very good. My companion had a tofu vegetable soup which she proclaimed excellent. I had the shrimp fried rice which also was delicious, although if I ordered it again I would request some veggies thrown in. Quantities were generally more than expected. Service was friendly and just a bit slow.

Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

This wasn't necessarily the best meal I have ever had, but in a pinch, late in on a Sunday night, it was a good choice. The food was not expensive and the portions are large. After a long day on the road it was a good meal.

A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2015 via mobile

If you order from the standard menu you can get the same food you get at every Chinese/American restaurant in the U.S.

They have a Chinese menu with pictures that you can order from. This menu has some very tasty dishes.

We ordered crispy fried ribs, Chinese broccoli, salt and pepper shrimp and a fish soup/hot pot dish. Everything was delicious!

The price was reasonable and the staff was very accommodating.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

The large vegetarian selection drew us to this restaurant. Unfortunately the place was a mess and service wasn't much better. The food was mediocre at best.