“Decent chinese meal”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 21 April 2016

We were staying next door at the Econolodge, for our sins, and decided to give this place a try, rather than drive and despite some of the less than great reviews.

The place was very quiet when we arrived and stayed so while we were there, and so our service was very attentive.

We order a selection of starters, which were ok, but not as good as the mains. In the main they seemed as if they had gone from freezer to frier to plate. The exception was the satay chicken which was succulent and tasty. Disappointingly they hadn't heard of the prawn cracker, a firm favourite of the UK chinese restaurant and takeaway scene, but not it seems in the US.

We ordered a number of main dishes to share between us. They all come with rice. There was plenty to go round and we were glad we didn't order a dish each as they were quite big plates. Everyone found the meal tasty and enjoyable.

Would happily eat there again.

Reviewed 6 March 2016

Passing through Charlottesville and found this place very close to our hotel, so gave it a try. We were warmly welcomed, quickly served, attentively waited upon, and completely charmed by the family and staff. We each ordered a different hot-pot, and were impressed by both. The vegetables were fresh, and the seafood was tender and flavourful. While we were there, they did a steady take-out business. The previous criticism about it not being the same in the east is unwarranted. I asked for some hot sauce to augment my hot-pot and the server was delighted to oblige. They are cooking for Charlottesville. We would recommend this without hesitation!

Reviewed 30 January 2016

The restaurant was across from where I was staying so I chose to give it a try. The egg drop soup was good and I ordered the mongolian beef, but I have definitely had better. For 9.95 plus the additional cost of the soup, I felt it was not a good choice after I left. Will not try again.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

Some family members and I went to this restaurant and it was one of the WORST experiences ever. We came in for the lunch buffet around 2:10 and ordered before really looking at it. BIG MISTAKE...very little food left. We asked about them bringing out more food and around 2:35 the cook came out with 2 small dish portions which were dumped into the cold remains on the buffet, raised his voice at us and tells us "Next time order from menu not get buffet". The quality of the food was poor and the server was rude as hell. Never again....

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Used to be an authentic Szechuan restaurant, owned and managed by a Szechuan family. Recently, they have succumbed to the Chinese buffet syndrome with mediocre food. No recommended.