“MIchie Tavern, VA”
Review of Michie Tavern

Michie Tavern
Ranked #1 of 24 Shopping in Charlottesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic tavern (ca. 1784) originally located on Patrick Henry's land. Living-history tours are conducted on the grounds of its current location near route Va 20.
Reviewed 22 October 2009

With two presidential homes and an historical tavern to explore, this trip was truly awesome. All of these attractions are high up a mountain, and each have a distinctly different aspect.

Mishie Tavern not only is historical, it also gives a "hands on" tour that you rarely find when visiting an historical place. You are taught a dance that was popular in that era, play a game that everyone loved back then, and you are actually allowed to touch many things in this "Inn" type tour. There's only one room that is roped off where you stand at the doorway and just look in.

They serve an authentic style lunch in the log cabin, an all you can eat buffet of foods typical in that time period. The real fire in the fireplace with hickory logs make it smell divine. It felt like we were camping indoors. The food was great, typical southern style food, and the atmosphere made you feel you really were in that time period.

The presidential tour package, which includes two presidential homes and the Michie Tavern will require a full day. It's WELL WORTH it, I'd love to go back again.

1  Thank skoeper

Reviewed 2 October 2009

An overpriced rip off of a meal - the chicken was dry and overcooked - the sides were barely palatable - and EXPENSIVE! My husband and I were horrified at the price and the poor quality. I had been here about 12 years ago and it has certainly gone way downhill in that time.

3  Thank ustraveler97
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We read about this place on line and decided to try it for lunch. Food is ordinary southern fare - pulled pork BBQ, broasted chicken, black eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, etc. All the food was tasty. But it was $16/person and even tea and coffee is extra. Five of us spent right at $100 for lunch. Pretty good food but I doubt if we'll do it again - just too pricey for our taste.

4  Thank BoilerMakerBob
Reviewed 8 June 2009

After a long visit to Monticello me and my party were a bit hungry. Although Monticello offers food now, their food simply did not appeal to any of us. In fact it was like an over priced sandwich. Therefore we all agreed to try Michie Tavern. The food was simply great! It could be seen as a bit pricey, but heck it was a better value than what we saw at Monticello and besides it was a treat. The hosts are so polite offering to get refills even though it is a buffet. The chicken is the best I have ever had. It is a great experience eating there.
After dining we took the tour of the original tavern. We wish we had stopped here first as they sell a "Presidents' pass for the Tavern, Monticello and James Monroe's home at a discounted price. Monticello never mentioned this.

7  Thank VaGentleman59
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We went to Michie Tavern last week, sounds great and looks great before you get there. It is bundled into the Presidents Pass and is worth the tour price, but the only issue that I have is with the price of the food and meals at the Tavern. You see know pricing at all as you walk into the eating area, which is very smart on the taverns part. As soon as you walk in you are greeted by a hostess who tells you that you are welcome to the authentic southern buffet and that you just simply go into the kitchen. Well then that is where the price gets you! You are in line and see the pricing board of $16 for the meal and then an additional $2 for the drink! WOW! $18 for a buffet for 1 person. If you have a family can you imagine how much this would cost you? Unbelievable! Just for my wife and I we were out $40 for a buffet at Michie Tavern!

The tour of the tavern itself isn't that great. There are not really many things to see. The highlights are the games that you see that visitors probably played as well as the dancing you do on the second floor. That is it!

If I could do it over I would skip the Michie Tavern.

A correction of errors, in my opinion would be to have the prices for the resteraunt posted as you walk in or before you get in line for food. Once people line up it would be rare that they get out of line because of the tight corners. You really can't turn around in line and leave, IT IS TO LATE once you get in line!!

8  Thank PresidentsTraveler