“Excellent Food and Atmosphere”
Review of Maya Restaurant

Maya Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Maya Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 596 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th St. NW
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We planned Easter Brunch at Maya based on excellent reviews and were glad we did! The atmosphere was relaxed - comfortable table, good music and really nice to see the servers dancing as they worked - says a lot about the culture at the restaurant!

1  Thank Nopaperwork

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My husband loved his trout and my son loved his ribs, however, it took forever to be acknowledged once we sat down. And then forever to get a drink. Our appetizer came before our drinks. I would come back to give this restaurant a second chance. My advice is to be seated in the (small) main dining room or outside. The secondary dining room, where we were, had zero ambience and we got zero attention from the wait staff. The food was very good, however.

1  Thank Skystew101
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Visited on a weekend vacation. We had a reservation, but were asked to wait at the bar for about 5 minutes before being seated at a booth near the bar. We'd heard the ribs were good so we both ordered them, with different sides. The ribs are very good - not true classic ribs, but tender and with a tasty (sweet) sauce. If they use a rub they're not generous with it, but the ribs were good, and, this being a sort-of upscale place, could be mostly eaten with a fork (interestingly, although we had ribs, no extra napkins were provided, so we were trying to not be messy).

We know that locals eat here because we ran into one (we are not local...we know literally two people in Charlottesville, and one happened to be at Maya...small world!).

The collard greens were thoughtfully served in a small bowl and were seasoned with a splash of vinegar - very good. Mac and cheese is macaroni in a white cheese sauce, not baked. The (special of the day) sautéed green beans were excellent - crisp and nicely seasoned. The shaved Brussel sprouts and bacon was really good. It's unfortunate we couldn't try more sides - they looked really interesting (I would have loved to try the cornbread...I could have probably ordered more sides, but wasn't that hungry...my longing is a theoretical longing...). Interestingly, regular French fries are not an available side (sweet potato fries are). The only white potato available is whipped (which would have made me very happy, but my husband wondered about those missing fries). The portion was large and we didn't have room for dessert (although portions are not huge). Service was very good.

Finding parking was a problem for us, and after driving around for several minutes we gave up and parked at the Amtrak train station right across the street. If you park there, pay before you go in (there's a kiosk).

1  Thank Loribbb
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Stopped in when the restaurant we had reservations at closed without notice. Our lucky day. Food here was great as was the service. Would come back just for the mashed potatoes. Trout with brown butter and capers was awesome. Fish was done perfectly. Came with those great potatoes. Quick stir fried kale was excellent. Chicken fired chicken was equally good. Came with collards that brought me back to the Collard Festival in NC. Dessert did not fail. Uber chocolate brownie with bourbon ice cream was better than...... My wife usually has a spoon or two. Before I knew it more than half was gone. Definitely will come back, again and again.

2  Thank Fludoc
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal at Maya.

Had a good steak and an assortment of appetizers that were excellent. Also very attentive service.

1  Thank moorthyr