“A real down home place!”

Steamers Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We walked in to the bar area tonight to discover the restaurant portion of Steamers had closed for the season. That would have been a disappointment, but Jonah, the barkeep/owner made us feel so very welcome. There was a pub grub menu that appealed and we ate very well, a steak for hubby and a chicken, crabmeat, cheese, and bacon sandwich for me. There's a beer on tap worth investigating, too, called Powder Monkey, lots of taste - not barrel-wash like so many. The atmosphere is laid back, home crowd friendly. This is apparently a favorite with the locals, too, and I understand why. My fella, who loves a good gin joint, fell in love with the place! I would recommend this place for a casual, if not inexpensive, evening out. You'll be glad you made the trip.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We were recommended this place by a local and so happy we decided to give it a try! The first night we were not too hungry so ordered from the appetizer section. The 1/2 pound peel and eat shrimp was more like a pound! Very generous portion served with butter and lemon. The shrimp had a dusting of spices (not Old Bay) and were really tasty~no sauce needed though it is provided on the table. Also ordered was the fried calamari with jalapenos. They were lightly breaded and were ok~again, the portion was quite large. The sides ordered were french fries (soft not crispy) and corn on the cob (end of season~only ok). Two beers and our bill was quite reasonable!
We decided to return the following evening for the crabs that we had seen others eating. We ordered the steamed hot pot. The steamed hot pot generally includes soup, salad, steamed potatoes/corn 4 crab clusters, bag of clams and shrimp. My husband is allergic to shrimp so we were allowed to substitute which was substituted with 2 additional crab clusters bringing the total to 6 crab clusters AND they added in an additional bag of clams! The corn on the cob was finished for the season so we were allowed to sub in an additional crab soup. As you can see we had an incredible meal and the waitress was more than accommodating and attentive. The crab clusters were excellent with plenty of meat to pick out~would order them again as I would the shrimp from the day before~no question. The creamy crab soup was so yummy! Thick and creamy with chunks of crab throughout served in a cup with oyster crackers included~excellent. Salad was ok (iceberg, tomato/onion). The clams were not my favorite~they were a bit over steamed and dry. The boiled potatoes were just that but we added S&P and a bit of the melted butter to them and they were fine and also are traditionally served with a steam pot.
I did notice from other reviewers that they had poor service or the place was dingy or it was expensive. All valid from their points of view. From my point of view (growing up in Fl and living in DC)~seafood on paper covered tables is fine as long as the food is good (and in this case it was), our servers (both nights) were wonderful and attentive to our needs and finally, the prices...fresh seafood is expensive from where I am living now in DC and to me, the food was very reasonable as were the bottled beers.
One note: they close the dining room after Columbus Day and keep the bar and bar food menu open which I was told is quite extensive.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

They have a great happy hour, they do close the restaurant side in the winter but the bar stays open and you can eat in the bar area. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Went there with friends last week. All the food was great. The waitress was super friendly and the service was great

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

I love steamers and I love the people who work here, always greeted by a friendly smile, and good times everytime. Stop by for a beer or the best blues in town.