“A Nice little surprise...”
Review of Cobbs Creek Diner

Cobbs Creek Diner
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 27 August 2017

This diner is a find in the middle of nowhere in Mathews County. That said, it has world class taste with excellently smoked meats and appetizers. We started with fried green beans. They were awesome! They were plentiful, hot, crispy and tasty and went perfectly with the Ranch dressing. Then came a brisket sandwich that was tender, juicy and flavorful. It had grilled onions and onion jam on it that mixed well with the Carolina-style barbecue sauce. The French fries were fresh-cut, hot, crispy and plentiful. Our server was polite, friendly, and attentive. She could not have been more helpful. We will definitely be back to check out more of their fare to include pizzas.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Oh my gosh; the brisket was juicy and tendon, served by Johnny the big tough guy who has a world-class mustache! Then Perry comes out dressed in a pink apron with all kinds of cakes and cream puffs, amazing presentation!
The first barbecue joint in Virginia owned by happily married men, Johnny and Perry. Perry is the big softie who serves up tea and crumpets; Johnny is the tough guy who wins the title of "Worlds biggest mustache" just wait till he brings you a beer with those giant hands and that deep voice!
Other than that, the hand smoked meats are pretty amazing, home made beef sausage and Polish wieners too, mmm; yummy yummy slurp slurp!
Iced tea is served with a special Cobbs Creek Cream, not sure what's in it but it is sweet and salty at the same time.
Perry's widdle bitty toes got hurt and he can't walk right so Johnny is running around with his food all crazy-balanced in his giant hands. My little boy was terrified by the weird clown ET, but it's all good because the baloney flows freely here at the Diner.
LGBTQ friendly and home of the Black Lives Matter movement in Mathews too!

10  Thank rob o
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We read in a travel guide (since we newly moved to VA) that a good day trip was a drive to Mathews by the Bay, as in Chesapeake, and in the same guide, the author recommended Cobbs Creek Diner, so armed with all this recommendation, we headed east for a little over an hour, until we could go no further. Mathews is as described, and we enjoyed our exploration there, but the topper was Cobbs Creek Diner for dinner. The menu is simple, specializing in barbecue, but they hand toss their own dough to make pizza, as well as offer traditional fare, like liver and onions, burgers, meatloaf, Mac and cheese, etc.. There are blackboard specials for both entrees and desserts, and we were lucky to find this place on a Saturday night when they have good live music! Come fall, they expand their concerts to the outside lot. We expected good barbecue when we saw the big smoker outside the restaurant, and the aroma emanating from it prophesied a savory sauce and seasonings. Tom got the barbecue platter and loved it. I got the meatloaf special, which is always tricky, because my family raves about my meatloaf, and I've developed a bit of a snobby pessimism about trying meatloaf in a restaurant, but this meatloaf was very good, with homemade brown gravy. I emphatically and enthusiastically urge you to portion yourself carefully and save room for the desserts, which are homemade to the max! Tom got a fudge cake with a scoop of ice cream, and I opted for this incredible apple cake with a light cinnamon whipped filling and chunks of apple! The scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side was delicious as well, but incidental to that marvelous cake! I finished the ice cream, so that I could safely box half my cake to go, and I got to enjoy that delightful dessert again at home! The staff is excellent at Cobbs Creek, the owner personally checks on you and makes you feel so appreciated for your patronage, and the service is personable and friendly. The diner itself is decorated with all sorts of interesting items, including a mounted deer head, nostalgic paraphernalia, checkered table cloths, a restroom outside the restaurant near the smoker, aptly named the "outhouse" (but it's a real rest room) and assorted trinkets for sale. It was a comfy, cozy, fun dining experience, and I am hoping for another excuse to head back that way again!

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

BBQ smoked out in back fills the air with anticipation for the treat inside. It's our GoTo place for BBQ and pizza.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Well... nothing special going on here.Their specialty is bbq but I've had much better. Ribs were clearly smoked for a long time but were tough-- not falling off the bone like good ribs do. Everything was pretty average-- nothing terrible, but nothing to write home about either.

3  Thank moonlitemom