“Maybe It Was The Day...”

Main Street Mill Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #22 of 99 Restaurants in Front Royal
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2018

Maybe it was because it was Mother's Day, but service was slow and server was frazzled. My steak came out raw. Sent it back and it came back almost raw. Sent it back again and yup, it came back like leather. Then when the check came, I was charged for a filet mignon (which when I did, I realized it had been) vs the sirloin I ordered. I guess when I ordered I didn't make myself clear that I didn't want the special offered and the server didn't take the time to clarify. Anyway, when I saw the higher charge I took issue with it. To the manager's credit, she not only didn't charge me for the more expensive steak, but having heard/seen the problems I had had, credited the entire meal except for the iced tea. Having just had an issue at an inn I had reserved where I don't feel I was treated fairly, I especially appreciated her willingness to do the right thing.

1  Thank bydamanti

Reviewed 6 May 2018

on a weekday we found it busy but not crowded. adjacent to the front royal visitors center, there is ample parking. the setting is a bit rustic and comfortable. the service was excellent and the menu varied -- something for nearly everyone.

the cost was moderate and the quality high. this was our third visit. we'll be back for more.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

I've been here twice and the food was great both times. The first time was as a group of 4 for lunch. It wasn't busy at all. The waitress wasn't super friendly but she was fine. We all got some type of sandwich or burger and everyone liked their food. The second time I went was with my mother for dinner. It was super busy. But we found seats on the main floor. The atmosphere is nice, horses and local history type stuff on the walls. It also seems clean in there too. Our waiter was super nice and our food came out in a timely manner. My mom got the fried oyster special and they were very good, definitely fresh. I got the Blue Ridge chicken. That was incredibly delicious. I can't wait to go back here. Definitely worth the money and the trip.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

First, Artichoke and Crab Dip. After one taste, we dove in. Absolutely delicious! Served with small toasted (?) bread slices sprinkled with cheese and nacho chips. The dip seemed a tad heavy with black pepper. Just a tad. The house salad was portioned well; the mix of items quite good. Two in the party ordered the 6 oz. Angus Sirloin. One bite and both looked at each other. What was that taste? The meat needed nothing else. They raved about it and learned from the server that their food was subject to a Jack Daniels Bourbon glaze. One order was medium rare, the other medium well which, the diner said, was a tad overdone. Just a tad. I had a half rack of ribs. My eyes bugged when it arrived. The amount of meat was massive. Again, absolutely delicious. My suggestion to the server was to put the sauce on the side. The meat didn't need it. For me, the sauce actually took away from the taste. What astounded me was the onion rings. I clean bit them every time. That doesn't happen often. I bit the second one and pulled some of the breading back. Was this formed chopped onion? Nope. The delicious type of onion chosen was cooked to perfection. The restaurant is housed in a former mill. It has a comfortable country feel to it that reflects the building's history. I can say nothing negative about the wait staff, all women during our visit. They knew what they were doing and performed their jobs well. We were there roughly from 12:30 until just before 2:00. While not full, the place was far from empty. Quite a few parties went upstairs to eat where the bar is. There was a family with young kids in the other room; the downstairs was open, so although visually separate, we could hear the children who sounded to be well behaved. There were more people sitting in the room where we ate when we left than there were when we arrived -- a good sign. Service was swift. We ordered our appetizer when we ordered our drinks. By the time our food order had been placed, it was on our table. The salads arrived just before we finished with it, and the main courses were before us a few minutes after they were history.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

We found Mill Restaurant on Trip Advisor while searching for restaurants near us after a great hike through the Luray Caverns. It was wonderful! We were heading north to PA and we were all very hungry. Knowing we had a four-hour trip, we wanted to fill ourselves to the brim. This restaurant did not disappoint! The food tasted great, the potions were huge and the kids’ menu was full and varied. Both of our picky boys found something to eat. All four of us ate for $70 plus tip, including beer & wine for us parents. The staff was super friendly and the historic building offered a great atmosphere.