“A healthy, delicious vegan oasis”
Review of GreenFare

GreenFare
Reserve with OpenTable
GreenFare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 249 Restaurants in Herndon
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Reviewed 29 March 2018

This roomy and attractive restaurant provided such a delightful dining experience that I returned two nights later for an equally fabulous meal. The best feature was a full menu of creative, generously portioned options. The restaurant has beautiful art work of happy animals alone the walls and a mini book store of essential healthy eating reads (like How Not to Die, by Michael Greger).

The food is a healthy type of vegan, emphasizing fresh, organic greens and other seasonal, well chosen vegetables. Both my visits featured friendly, attentive service (2 different servers) and a warm greeting by the owner Gwyn (dinner #2).

I started both dinners with a terrific blueberry flavored Kombucha. I also opted for the side salad which had a variety of unusual greens, including beet greens, thinly sliced beets, red beans, apple, sprouts, and a wonderful, but not overwhelming dressing.

One night I had the stir fry, featuring broccoli, portobello mushrooms and many other vegetables over brown rice. Flavorful and filling. The second night I had the mac and cheese (a cashew based cheese - yum!) also featuring broccoli. The vegetables were perfectly cooked to the right level of crispness. Again filling - so much so, there was enough for lunch the next day.

Although the desserts looked terrific - I was too stuffed to indulge. Will definitely return with my wife some time, so we can share one!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank mabramson

Reviewed 2 August 2017

My husband and I visited GreenFare for dinner. I found it liberating to be able to chose anything on the menu - as a person with many food allergies and restrictions, this is a very rare occurrence for me. It was a healthy treat that the restaurant does not add sugar or oils either! Impressive. I ordered the broccoli pesto pasta, my husband ordered kombucha, a cup of vegetable soup and the enchiladas. We finished with the red bean lava cake. The portion sizes were very generous! We both took home leftovers. My broccoli pesto pasta was delicious, what a treat to be able to eat a 'creamy' dairy-free dish. I did find personally the dish was lacking on the vegetables, luckily I can add those at home with my leftovers. The enchiladas were good too, served over salad, fresh, creamy and delicious. The red bean lava cake was very yummy. I really liked the ice cream on top. If returning, may even ask for a dessert of just ice cream.

The owner was at the restaurant while we were there, and towards of the end of our visit they started a cooking/dinner lecture. It looked like a nice, fun educational gathering. Super awesome to have health education like this in our community! I'm amazed that the owner is able to pull in very prestigious speakers! What a great offering! Thank you!

It is also great to learn about the meal plans offered by the restaurant. With the options for meal deliveries expanding (e.g. Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Plated, etc...) it is so nice to have vegan option local! Wow! Thank you!

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Sunshine_Grl8
Reviewed 11 July 2017

The food was good. Interesting choices. I would have liked more salad options on the menu. All the food is organic and fresh. The atmosphere is fresh and clean. Even the straws are recyclable. They also have some items for sale. I will definitely return.

Date of visit: June 2017
2  Thank JCtatorknit C
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

By far the best vegan restaurant I have ever eaten at. I literally have lunch and dinner from Greenfare 7 days a week as part of their meal plan, where I walk in and out in under 2 minutes with a bag with my name on it. Whether you are in a rush to pickup some prepared meals from their fridge or looking for a comfortable relaxing evening in an environment of nutrional peace, Greenfare is it. They offer weekly nutritional classes, a monthly dinner and a movie night (ex. Eating You Alive before it was released) and a 21 Day kickstarter program which I did with meals and lectures for those looking to get started with becoming a vegan. In addition, they offer prepared meals to be picked up from their fridge, meal plans that you schedule online to be picked up (delivery is an option), largest collection of nutritional books and videos in a restaurant that I have ever seen and a extremely knowledgeable staff who walk the walk and talk the talk. Oh, did I mention they just received their organic certification which is a difficult, lengthy and costly process and only the 4th restaurant in the U.S. to receive it.

The craziest thing is, in their 21 Day kickstarter program they show you how to make several of the meals at home. What restaurant does that, Greenfare, that is who.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank Fikre D
Reviewed 3 July 2017

I have been twice. I had the Gardener's Pie, which is a vegan take on shepherd's pie. Quite tasty--a little bit spicy and very hearty. I also had the German Potato Salad. This one had a lot of fresh spinach too. Both times I had a side salad that had a delicious dressing and a variety of mixed greens. Also had lots of tidbits like beets, potatoes, red beans, that add interest and nutrition to the salad.

Speaking of nutrition. Something I'd like to see is more nutrition information either on the menu or available separately or online. For a restaurant that sells itself on offering healthy food, this seems like a must. There are free apps available these days that can generate a nutrition label from a recipe. I think if people could see the nutritional data, it would reinforce the health claims, adding even further appeal to the delicious food on offer.

They also have many books available about vegan nutrition, and they offer classes, movies, and other community-centered activities.

Date of visit: June 2017