“Awesome breakfast ”

Ranked #33 of 334 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, French, Pizza, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Just like your own home, The Great Room is filled with comfortable leather couches and arm chairs, communal dining tables, intimate seating areas and an awesome bar. Its coffered ceilings, warm tones, and beautiful lighting create an atmosphere ideal for an evening with friends at home.
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Buffet plus hot entrée choices, warm cinnamon rolls and more. Great service. Can’t wait to go back for dinner!

Great R, General Manager at The Great Room, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

So glad you enjoyed our breakfast. If you liked Breakfast you'll love dinner in the Great Room! Stop by and grab a bite next time your in the neighborhood!

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Our first trip to The Great Room definitely will not be our last! We loved everything about it from the ambiance, the background music, the staff, to the food.
My husband and I were greeted and seated by Geoffrey, the restaurant manager. He offered us our choice of seating as they were not yet busy for the evening, and we chose the nicely decorated, airy barn room. We were soon greeted by our server, Angela, who was very friendly, personable, and very good at what she does.
We both ordered a cocktail and they were served quickly and they were well made; not too strong and not too weak. We then each ordered a Delmonico steak and they were served quickly and exactly the way we ordered them. The steaks were flavorful and tender and topped with a very nice garlic/herb butter. The sides were mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus and I will admit I’m picky about my mashed potatoes; these were as good as they get. They were fluffy and flavorful and perfectly seasoned. The asparagus too was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. Rarely do I dine out where I don’t pick up a salt or pepper shaker to tweak the seasoning, but everything was seasoned perfectly. The icing on the cake was dessert: black and white creme brûlée. It was ridiculously delicious. The custard was atop a layer of chocolate ganache and I have never had a better creme brûlée in my life, and I’ve had a lot of it!
We also had the good fortune of having the chef, Jim, stop by our table briefly and he was very friendly. There is just a really nice atmosphere, and all the staff we encountered seemed to enjoy working there and it really came through in the level of service.
Finally, we were so pleasantly surprised when we received our bill. Including a glass of wine each with dinner, our total was right around $80.00. We feel this is tremendous value for the quality of food and the atmosphere. We are so pleased we found The Great Room. Our daughter has just started at a nearby college, and we will definitely be back over the next four years.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

The Great Room is a very nice room, large and airy, tastefully decorated and comfortably furnished. It's situated inside the Kirkley Hotel, one of the best in town. I was surprised to find few diners present when I arrived about 6pm. The hostess was quick to welcome me, and the waiter was very pleasant and attentive in just the right degree. I ordered the fish 'n chips with mooshy peas-- I should have had the chef's special orange roughie, as it was only $5 more and came with fresh asparagus. But I like fish 'n chips. And these chips were great! Sadly that night the white fish (cod, I think?) was in need of seasoning and its flour-tasting batter was limp. I've never had mooshy peas before, and don't know what they're supposed to taste like. These seemed to be simply dried peas only half-hydrated and warmed up, and I didn't like them either. I did tell the waiter I didn't like the fish when he offered me a doggie bag, but he appeared not to understand me. The ice cream was very nice indeed.

1  Thank virginia10miler
Reviewed 30 July 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Kirkley recently. We were quite tired and didn't feel like going out to look for a good restaurant. We hit the jackpot when we decided to stay and have dinner at The Great Room.

The atmosphere is relaxed and laid back with friendly chef and waitstaff. Our waitress was knowledgeable about each dish on the menu and was happy to offer suggestions of combinations of entrees and sides. My husband opted for a mixed greens salad topped with beef strips while I decided on mac and cheese entree with the sauteed squash mixture as a side. We were both quite satisfied with our choices.

This restaurant offers many craft beers and craft beer cocktails. It is my understanding that the selection changes often. I tried a lager, ginger beer, and cider cocktail and found it very tasty and refreshing.

If we happen to be in the Lynchburg area again, we'll definitely plan on another meal at The Great Room.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Stayed at the Kirkley for an evening and had a few drinks at this nice hotel bar -- the restaurant itself seemed very nice, though we didn't eat. Sat at the bar which felt more like a really nice kitchen island (kind of cool, I liked it) -- our bartender was polite, attentive, but not annoyingly so. Very relaxing setting, thoroughly enjoyed it! Excellent draft beer selection!!!!