“We came for the animals and were not disappointed”

Virginia Safari Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Drive along our 3 mile - 180 Acre natural park, viewing(and feeding) herds of free-roaming animals from your car, such as Antelope, Deer, Elk and Llamas! Walk through the 10-acre Safari Village and see Tigers, Cheetahs, Kangaroos, Primates, Reptiles, a wide variety of birds and much more! Don't forget to feed the giraffe and visit the petting barn! We're located in the Shenandoah Valley, a short day trip from Roanoke, Lynchburg, Staunton, Charlottesville, Richmond, Maryland and DC.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We grew up near Jackson, NJ and the Six Flags Safari back when it was open. We missed a drive through safari experience that our kids could become a part of so when we saw the Virginia Safari Park was open, we had to go over Easter break. Warning, hold onto your buckets tightly! The llamas are experts at pulling the bucket from your hands. At very beginning of the drive, there were five buckets in the road. My son lost his bucket soon after. After the safari we walked around the zoo. My son loved the budgie feeding station and would have stayed there all day. The abundance of colorful birds is peaceful and they do land on the purchased budgie sticks to eat the seeds. I would highly recommend this park to anyone who loves animals

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"large animals"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My family thoroughly enjoyed this park! The animals were up close and very friendly. Make sure to get a few extra buckets of feed because the animals are practiced at knocking the buckets out of your hand! Next time we go we will get more feed for the animals at the end. The drive through safari was great but then there is a park to walk through afterward which was just as good. For the price, this was an excellent use of money!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We took Elementary aged grandchildren. They enjoyed seeing the animals on the safari and feeding some. The bigger animals were intimidating to them but they loved observing them. Holding the bucket with two hands wasn’t a problem for the 8 year old but I lost 2 buckets to an ambitious Emu and Llama. Thank goodness you’re given extra empty buckets to pour the food into so you can divide it out. Beautiful animals and wonderful variety.
Everyone’s favorite part was feeding the birds once we parked and went by foot inside the park. . We spent a lot of time there. Remember to buy bird sticks before you head down as it’s a bit of a hike back to the gift store to purchase them.
Only disappointment was the cafe. It’s a snack bar with only outdoor seating. We visited on a 37 degree day and a place to warm up would have been welcome. The PB&J was thawed and good. Hot dog was cold. BEST part of cafe was the children’s meal was served in a sturdy safari hat that they wore proudly. They were out of Nachos and a few other items. Nothing if you have dietary concerns such as gluten.
They fed the giraffe with 3 pieces of lettuce purchased by credit card for $5. That purchase was at the giraffe site. Many caged animals who seemed well cared for. Fun to walk along the trail with kangaroos hopping by. Clean bathrooms. Minimal gift shop.
Look for KOA sign if coming from Lexington as we missed it. It’s on the same road as KOA. From the other direction signage is better. Thus how we found it when we turned around.
We spent 3 hours and loved it.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped here as a side trip during our spring break. The “village” was a great place to allow my young kiddos to run around after being cooped up in the car. Our whole bucket of grain was swiped by an experienced bison, so be sure to hold it with a monster grip, or only put a little out on the ground. Lol! I think next time I would buy more buckets of food. Honestly, the drive through part was really fun, but the animals’ heads being in the car scared my youngest. Therefore, losing our bucket was fine for her as we drove the trail, and she could view them behind glass. It was still fun! It is on the expensive side (~$80 for two adults and 2 kids), but definitely worth it to do at least once!