“Oasis in a colonial paradise”
Review of Hostel Oasis

Hostel Oasis
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I've stayed at this hostel at least once every time I've visited Granada in the last 4 years. It's very popular and funky. The hostel has top-notch facilities, offering free internet on several computers, a petite, quiet, and pretty swimming pool, set in the center of its cool indoor patio, and lots of hammocks and seating for lazily lounging around. The dorms are airy and cheap, we paid $7 a person for dorm beds. They also have a book trade-in, DVD rentals, and big, spacious lockers. Oasis was the second hostel I ever stayed at, but surely it wouldn't be the last. Since Oasis set the bar pretty high, I've found myself unfairly comparing other hostels to them whenever I travel. They just get so many things right. Simple little touches that are a no-brainer, like offering free huge lockers with lock and key, make this one of my favorite backpacker resorts. Something as simple and logical as lockers and locks might not sound like a big deal, but after doing quite a bit of traveling and crashing at hostels in the last 4 years, you'd be amazed at how important this is... especially at a hostel, with lots of people coming and going. We've stayed at places (mainly in Costa Rica) that charge you for a locker and even the lock and key! The deal sealer for me was the free coffee and tea they offer. The staff is super nice, very helpful and there is a rainbow clientele from every inch of the globe staying at the place.

There was only one small drawback, the hostel was a challenge to find at first because it's located a few blocks away from the central park, outside the tourist zone, near the central market. It's on a small side street in the heart of a shopping district. There's no sign either, just the name “Oasis” painted on a lamp post in front of the nondescript bright blue building. From the outside it looks like some type of small mom-and-pop business, but like most colonial buildings, inside its massive! It's easy to miss, but ask around and people will point you in the right direction... the place is so popular most folks know where it's at. We stayed in a dorm room, as well as a private room at Oasis. The private rooms are the same price as two dorm beds, but the room we received was windowless, small and claustrophobic. Luckily we only used it to sleep. Oasis also serves a cheap and filling breakfast in the morning. Oasis has a shuttle minibus service to an affiliated hostel named "Crater's Edge," which has now changed management and has been renamed "Paradiso Hostel." It's still the same great service and killer location, so I will continue referring to it as "Crater's Edge" for this review... the place left a lasting impression on me the first time I visited Nicaragua, I have so many fond memories there, it will forever be "Crater's Edge" to me. Crater's Edge is located right at the mouth of the crater lake of Laguna de Apoyo. The place is a gem, with a variety of well-maintained private rooms and dorm rooms looking out over the lake, where you'll find kayaks, tubes and a bar. If you decide to spend the night, the price includes an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast, which you must pay for whether you want to eat breakfast or not. I mention this because a lot of people become really angry when they discover this. For us it wasn't a big deal, since we were probably going to eat breakfast there anyway if we decided to spend the night. Their hostel is in a semi secluded wooded area, it's not like Granada, so there aren't many restaurants or other food options nearby. The place also serves a tasty lunch, dinner and desert. It's all well worth the money. Like Hostel Oasis, I had heard many great things about 'Crater's Edge,' which is partners with Oasis (Oasis is now in partnership with Paradiso Hostel/formerly Crater's Edge). And seeing that I had already fell in love with Oasis, its facilities and management, I figured I'd probably fall for Crater's Edge... not to mention Crater's Edge was sitting at the bottom of the lip of that beautiful lagoon that had already left a lasting impression on me from the Catarina Mirador. We initially ended up going on the day-visit package, which included transportation to and from the lagoon, entrance to Crater's Edge and usage of it's facilities, and lunch. But quickly returned the following day to spend a few nights.

Set in a picturesque valley brimming with wildlife, the lovely Apoyo crater lake is another one of Nicaragua's many natural wonders. Dry tropical rain-forest along the surrounding slopes contains much nature, including howler monkeys and also provides good hiking opportunities. The real star of the show however, is the pristine waters of the lagoon, a massive, mineral-infused pool that is without doubt one of the best swims in the country. I have seen and experienced quite a few things in my life, but Crater's Edge and Laguna de Apoyo were an experience unlike any other I have ever had. I can honestly say I have never swam in a volcano crater lake. So this was one helluva experience. And although Crater's Edge is a hostel, it was more like a mini-resort with a killer location and view! No emails, no calls, or high tech. Just water, black sand, and sun in every direction. Relaxing in the warm, tranquil waters of Laguna de Apoyo was one of the calmest experiences I've ever had. I recommend it to anyone looking to check out. They do have one computer with internet dial-up, but it's not good for anything more complex than checking your email. And I'm glad they didn't have a bunch of computers or DSL, because the entire theme at this place is tranquility and relaxing... not Googling and web surfing. The temperature in and around the Laguna is very cool and a lot more pleasant than Managua and even Granada. Every once in a while you have to treat yourself though. And really, when 'treating yourself' still only adds up to $35/day, you can't complain. Especially when you get the service, facilities and meals like we did at Craters Edge. From floating in the water all morning to having lunch served to you upon your return, to a nap on the bar dock in the afternoon and then a swim and some beers before dinner, an amazing meal served over candlelight, desert served up top where you get to meet the other guest' and talk, and then all the supplies you need left for you on a 'honesty' basis overnight, WOW! Yes, I'm ranting, but it really was that good. What a pleasant experience. Pamper is the name of the game here. There were a lot more people using the facilities for the day than staying the night. There is nothing more peaceful than lazing about in one of the many hammocks or chairs at the bar, located at the bottom of the hostel. I loved just kicking back, sipping on something cold and taking in the lake breeze and scenery, not having a care in the world. I could just spends weeks there doing absolutely nothing. We also spent quite a bit of time in the water. Crater's Edge is an awesome place for those looking to get away from it all, and Hostel Oasis is a great base in the city of Granada to laze away those warm afternoons. When it comes to international hosteling they get everything right!

Room Tip: If you chose a private room get one upstairs, they're slightly bigger and airier.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Clean and tidy. Huge rooms, great location. Check out their other lodging at Laguna Apoyo for a day trip - $6 return with free kayaks - also a fantastic place. The place is quiet but also has other travellers. Reception can give advice. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Probably the best hostel I have been during my 6 months travelling. The swimming pool saved us from the very hot days.
free Sweet bread in the morning, free coffe and tea all day long, and great people.
the hostel is easy to reach from the bus station and it's only 5 minutes walking from the main street.
A bit more expensive than the other hostels but it was worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I come down to Granada quite often, and when I do, unless I feel like splashing out and going somewhere beautiful like Casa Cubana, Oasis is normally my first choice.

The hostal is well equipped with a kitchen area, indoor terrace, sofas, hammocks and a very nice little swimming pool. The dorms seem perfectly ok, and some of the private rooms are nice. The rooms with private bathrooms above the swimming pool look lovely (I have never stayed in them), and some of the private rooms with shared bathrooms are pretty good, although the one's next to the pool are very small.

It is a good place, and ideally located to explore the city. My only major complaint is that some of the members of staff on the front desk and night-shift are not exactly the friendliest people in the world. I remember once being very much told off after sitting down on the sofas with some friends at around 11.15pm, to have a beer, as it had gone past the 'quiet time' of 11pm. I am not sure if this has changed, as the last time I went the level of service was much better. But in total, I have probably stayed at Oasis around 7 times, and about 5 of those times I have been slightly unimpressed by the service. I do hope they have now sorted this out.

In spite of this, I would still recommend the hostal, and sitting. around the pool with a cold beer certainly makes it worthwhile.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Very pleasant hostel to pass the time in Granada. Fairly centrally located, close to the main square and a few minutes walk from the main tourist street. The neighbourhood feels a bit sinister at night though and sticking to the main streets at night would be well advised.

The (tiny, but refreshing) pool and courtyard, equipped with lots of hammocks and rocking chairs, are fantastic ways to escape the midday heat as well as a great way to meet other travellers and generally hang out both day and night.

The Dorms are nice, with lockers large enough you can put your whole bag or suitcase in them as well as large bunks with comfortable matresses. The real issue however was the ceiling fans which run all night, but at a pace so useless it is laughable. With no air movement the rooms quickly heat up and become extremely uncomfortable at night. The problem could be easily solved, but seemingly remains as it is.

Otherwise it is a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011