“Bedbugs! But would have been nice otherwise.”
Review of Hostel Oasis

Hostel Oasis
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Title says it all - booked here keen for a less expensive option after having spent up big in very nice places for a few nights (mostly because we were afraid of being stabbed) in Tegucigalpa (so it has to have been this place) and woke up to horrible bed bug bites. Politely told the staff at reception who were suitably shocked and went to immediately inspect the room after inquiring as to where we had come from (not sure how they expect to see tiny translucent insects if they're not crawling all over their legs) who then came back and said that the room was fine and that it must have been mosquitoes. I said that I had seen them crawling over my legs after getting out of bed and offered to drag my parter in to show them the awful bites - definitely not mozzies -and the girl just stared at me and shrugged. The manager however offered an apology and a refund, which after having read some other reviews on here was more than what I was expecting regarding their attitudes. Perhaps they're working on them as they were mostly quite friendly overall. Private rooms are fairly depressing and very hot, but if you're seeking dorms this would be a great option (once the bugs are exterminated of course!) as they're light and airy. Feels secure, gorgeous little pool area and quite a lot of computers along with wi fi. Day trip option to their other property up on the lake for 6 dollars too, but apparently you can get this cheaper at other places but theirs means you can use the facilities at their other hostel ie kitchen, kayaks. Had we not encountered the bugs we'd have stayed a couple of nights.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SimCat12
tata123, Propietario at Hostel Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

I am the owner of Oasis and have received over 73 reviews throughout the years (Oasis has been in businesss for 10 years!) , yet this is the first time I going to answer. I MUST ANWSER TO THIS REVIEW!!! Bedbugs are a worldwide problem and have nothing to do with a "good expensive hotel" vs. a hostel, a dirty place vs. a clean place. I can guarantee any guest coming to Oasis that there is NO OTHER place in Granada, Nicaragua that fumigates and is as vigilant for bedbugs as we are. We (and I include my staff) have become EXPERTS on the subject, as I think many other hostels and hotel owners have had to become also. Bedbugs ARE NOT "TRANSLUCENT" as this guest describes. Their eggs (which do not bite are..) But biting bedbugs are brownish-black and you can grab them and kill them with your hands eventhough they are super fast). Some are larger than others. The reaction to a bedbug bite is different to mosquito bites...very different. As soon as this guest complaint our staff took the room apart, as bedbugs not only hide on the bed, they can hide in many places in the room. We could not find one bedbug in this guest room, still we refunded her $20 dollars she had prepaid and offered to put in the dryer her bags and clothes for free just in case she (who had just arrive from a nice hotel in Tegucigalpa) had brought the bugs in the bag , yet she refused. I encourage all travelers to become familiar with what bedbugs are, how they look, and how they travel . Oasis is commited to continuing fumigating constantly (something we have been doing for years now). Yet, we are the busiest Hostel in Granada, housing some 90 guests nightly and no matter how much we fumigate today , one guest can bring bedbugs in their bag tomorrow and that is the reason we have a committed staff who daily goes to each vacant room for inspection. Another thing, this is the hottest time of the year in Granada, Nicaragua. Right before the rainy season!! If you cannot take the heat-stay away from Granada in April and May!!!! Thanks for reading my first answer ever to this site. Maria Morell, Oasis Owner

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Dorms are great, comfy and not to crowdy. Pool area which is lovely, ok breakfast, good coffee. A lot of computers with possibilities to use headphones. Hammocks, movies and a common kitchen which makes Oasis a place to get stuck in for longer than you planned for. The only thing I have complainings about is the staff. They were not nice at all, they made you feel like you were in the way all the time, so after a while, we avoided to request for things that we wanted. Shape up!

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Hostel Oasis provided everything I needed for my few day stay in Granada: a clean, pretty respite to come ¨home¨ to after traipsing about; friendly, helpful staff who take their jobs seriously; and a nice combination of fellow solo and group travelers with stories and tips to share. A pretty little tiled pool in the center ¨square¨ is a nice touch and place to cool off with your new friends. The dorms are well organized and maintained but if sleeping 10 to a room is not your thing, you can pay more to stay in one of the other rooms or just go elsewhere. For the price, Oasis offers everything a traveling backpacker craves in a hostel - including free coffee in the morning and Wifi! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Karenzo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed here on a recommendation from a friend but left after the 1st night because it was unbearably hot and uncomfortable and the staff had a "we don't give a crap" attitude. I originally booked a room with AC over a month before my stay. I showed up and they put me in a room with AC that was broken. There were no other available rooms. They offered to check to see if they could fix it, but not until 8pm the next evening when they turned all the AC on. So the staff wasn't even willing to try and fix it at 8am that morning - they wanted me to wait all day. I got out of there as fast as I could and discovered a lot more options - nicer and more affordable.

Room Tip: Other travelers seemed to think the shared rooms were cooler and comfortable. The private rooms were...
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I originally reserved a room in this hostel for my entire stay in Granada (7 days), but left Hostel Oasis after the first night. Honestly, I would have left earlier if I had known my way around the city better. The room was supposed to have air conditioning, but after the receptionist turned it on, the room didn't get any cooler. I asked if the A/C temperature could be changed, but I was told that the master remote control (controlled only by the receptionists) was missing 3 triple-A batteries, so it didn't work. I didn't sleep the entire night. The A/C unit didn't work, but somehow managed to be loud at the same time. My room was in the upper level, in a corner, so there was no air circulation from the small window I opened. If you stay at this hotel, be sure to check out your room and the A/C unit before paying. This was the worst night of non-sleep I have ever had...and I used to live in Iowa where the humidity was 95% and the heat index reached above the 100 degree mark in the summers.