“10 stars!”
Review of Backpackers Inn

and 1 more site!
Backpackers Inn
Reviewed 2 May 2015

We LOVED this hotel! We booked a private room by the pool, and the entire facility was absolutely beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! Our rate for the room included breakfast which was always delicious. The pool was awesome. Our room was VERY comfortable. We didn't use the AC which cost a little more, so that was a little toasty but manageable with fans and adaptability. The staff were FANTASTIC! All of them!!! Rosa, Milton, and the dear other attendant whose name I can't remember (I'm sorry!) but he gave us a docent's guide to the history of the hotel which we loved.

It is conveniently located in a good part of town, we got around mostly by taxis which were reasonable. There is an AMAZING art gallery across the corner from the hotel. :)

We were two people (mother and daughter) and felt very comfortable here. My daughter didn't want to leave. She liked it at the hotel so much I had a hard time convincing her to leave and go see the city with me. :)

We LOVED it here and would recommend it to anybody looking for a gorgeous accommodation at bargain prices. :) LOVED it!

Room Tip: We loved being by the pool. We kept our items in our room (tablet, passports, etc) and didn't h...
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2015

This is the best somewhat undiscovered "hostel" I have ever stayed in. Original art and artistic furniture throughout this large re-done colonial home. Comfortable, clean, spacious, and quiet. Excellent hammock and small pool in the open patio. Walking distance to anywhere you would like to go. Friendly and helpful staff - one of them is working hard on improving his English and loves to practice! You may elect to stay in an airy shared dorm room (which has nearby a sufficient number of bathrooms) with high ceilings, or a lovely private room (just like a hotel and only $40 with air conditioning). I have done both on separate trips and was very happy both times. This is a bit higher-end or hidden, and so far does not have the young party crowd at all- the reason I loved it. It does not have computers to use, but I think it has free wifi for your own device. I would not stay anywhere else in Granada- and I have stayed in a long list of them over the last 10 years.

Room Tip: Ask about the door to an underground tunnel!
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2015

I came to Granada for business. The usual places I stay were full so I stayed at the Backpackers Inn, in a private room. I had met the owner previously and the property is beautiful. However, my cash and credit card were taken from my locked hotel room.
I stayed in a private room in front of the pool. The door locks but is not very secure and can easily be forced open. I left for dinner for 1 hour and returned. Upon waking in the morning I realized I had been robbed. There was no sign of forced entry or hint that someone had been in the room. The police were called but besides telling me I had to go to the station to file a report they wanted to tell me that the staff wanted me to pay my bill before I left - did I have any $ to do so. I asked the staff to call the owner as I felt he may want to get details first hand. However, he wasn't made available to me.
I can't recommend that anyone stay here. If you do, do not leave anything out of your sight. I've been coming to Nicaragua for 7 years and this is the first negative experience I've had.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
14  Thank CJaco40
BackpackersInn, Owner at Backpackers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2015

We run a quality boutique hostel oriented to serve our guests and provide the best experience possible, with honest and committed workers who have been with us for over six years with an IMPECABLE RECORD, since we opened. THIS ALLEGED BEHAVIOR DOES NOT OCCUR IN OUR ESTABLISHMENT, and you may LOOK AT THE RESTO OF 100 COMMENTS ON TRIPADVISOR to confirm. We are so sure of our establishment, that based on your allegations we immediately called the police to come on site to investigate your allegations, and TO OUR SURPRISE YOU REFUSED TO GIVE DECLARATION AND FILE FORMAL POLICE REPORT IN ORDER TO HAVE THEM INVESTIGATE AND FIND OUT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED. You came recommended by neigboring hotel and then moved to stay with them. Caught our attention calls received from third parties asking for retribution on your behalf. This kind of allegations without concrete proof, can be considered as libellous and slanderous behaviour on your part, therefore we respectfully request if you have resolved your issues, kindly remove your comments.

Reviewed 15 March 2015

The Backpackers Inn is SPECTACULAR! We have fallen head over heels in love with this hotel and have so enjoyed our time here. The staff has been so wonderful and have become friends over the nights that we have stayed. They have been helpful, kind, courteous, and so very welcoming.

We are travelling with 2 kids (4 and 7 years old) and this hotel has been perfect for us! The option to make snacks and easy breakfasts for the kids in the kitchen, the swimming (the BEST pool that we have encountered during our travels in Central America - stairs to walk in, shallow enough at the shallow end of the small-for-his-age 4yo to be able to touch), the relaxing patio spaces (and so many different spots to go and sit - so much privacy), the location, and comfortable beds (seriously great mattresses!).

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel - it is quiet and relaxing and easy to access the beautiful areas of Granada.

Muchas gracias a nuestros amigos de Backpackers Inn!!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2015

This is a highly attractive colonial hotel with comfortable rooms and many recreation areas such as a billiard room, reading/coffee room, swimming pool, communal kitchen, communal terraces. It's not exactly dedicated to backpackers, although they do appear once in a while, the price is right; it's much more elegant and spacious than such a name would suggest, even though it does include a couple of large dormitories. Maybe not so many backpackers come by because it looks more expensive than it actually is. It doesn't have the grandiose pretensions of some of the more expensive hotels on the main square where you are likely to feel isolated from other travelers. It has a friendly and casual atmosphere and is conducive to making new acquaintances in the many common areas.

I checked out at least a couple of dozen hotels in Granada – I walked inside, looked at the courtyards and rooms, discussed pricing at the desk – before settling on this one. This was quite definitely my favourite, from the moment I saw it. A perfect blend of everything I could desire: beautiful, informal, welcoming, comfortable, very reasonably priced, conveniently near to the centre. One quickly feels at home.

The Dutch Consular shield over the corner doorway is intriguing. The owner represents Holland's interests in Nicaragua. It also bespeaks the quality of the environment, worthy of a consular endorsement.

The ceiling of my bedroom was high and hand-painted: a fresco of a deep blue sky with wisps of clouds! Wonderfully refreshing.

I stayed a few days, went away for a few, and when I returned I headed straight back to the Backpackers Inn. And so should you. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo